PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
54-1402. Definitions. As used in this act:
(1) "Advanced practice registered nurse" means a registered nurse licensed in this state who has gained additional specialized knowledge, skills and experience through a program of study recognized or defined by the board. An advanced practice registered nurse is authorized to perform advanced nursing practice, which may include the prescribing, administering and dispensing of therapeutic pharmacologic agents, as defined by board rules. An advanced practice registered nurse shall perform only those acts as provided by the board and for which the individual is educationally prepared. Advanced practice registered nurses shall include the following four (4) roles: certified nurse-midwife; clinical nurse specialist; certified nurse practitioner; and certified registered nurse anesthetist as defined in board rule. An advanced practice registered nurse collaborates with other health professionals in providing health care.
(2) "Board" means the board of nursing.
(3) "Licensed practical nurse" means a person licensed by the board who practices nursing by:
(a) Functioning at the direction of a licensed registered nurse, licensed advanced practice registered nurse, licensed physician, or licensed dentist in a role falling within the nurse's scope of practice as defined by the board;
(b) Contributing to the assessment of the health status of individuals and groups of individuals;
(c) Participating in the development and modification of the strategy of care;
(d) Implementing the appropriate aspects of the strategy of care as defined by the board, including administering medications and treatments as prescribed by those health care providers authorized to prescribe medication;
(e) Maintaining safe and effective nursing care rendered directly or indirectly;
(f) Participating in the evaluation of responses to interventions; and
(g) Delegating nursing interventions that may be performed by others and that do not conflict with this act.
(4) "Licensed registered nurse" means a person licensed by the board who practices nursing by:
(a) Assessing the health status of individuals and groups of individuals;
(b) Identifying health care problems that are amenable to nursing intervention;
(c) Establishing goals to meet identified health care needs;
(d) Planning a strategy of care;
(e) Prescribing nursing interventions to implement the strategy of care;
(f) Implementing the strategy of care, including administering medications and treatments as prescribed by those health care providers authorized to prescribe medication;
(g) Authorizing nursing interventions that may be performed by others and that do not conflict with this act;
(h) Maintaining safe and effective nursing care rendered directly or indirectly;
(i) Evaluating responses to interventions;
(j) Teaching the theory and practice of nursing;
(k) Managing the practice of nursing; and
(l) Collaborating with other health professionals in the management of health care.
(5) "Nursing education program" means a course of instruction offered and conducted to prepare persons for the practice of nursing, or to increase the knowledge and skills of the practicing nurse.
(6) "Practice of nursing" means assisting individuals or groups of individuals to promote, maintain or restore optimal health throughout the life process by assessing and evaluating their health status, planning and implementing a strategy of care to accomplish defined goals, and evaluating responses to care and treatment.