PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
54-1705. Definitions. In this chapter:
(1) "Board of pharmacy" or "board" means the Idaho state board of pharmacy.
(2) "Central drug outlet" means a resident or nonresident pharmacy, drug outlet, or business entity employing or contracting pharmacists to perform centralized pharmacy services.
(3) "Central pharmacist" means a pharmacist performing centralized pharmacy services.
(4) "Centralized pharmacy services" means the processing by a central drug outlet or central pharmacist of a request from another pharmacy to fill, refill, or dispense a prescription drug order, perform processing functions or provide cognitive or pharmaceutical care services. Each function may be performed by the same or different persons and at the same or different locations.
(5) "Compounding" means the act of incorporating two (2) or more substances to create a finished drug product.
(6) "Counseling" or "counsel" means the effective communication by the pharmacist of information as set out in this chapter, to the patient or caregiver, in order to improve therapeutic outcomes by maximizing proper use of prescription drugs and devices. Specific areas of counseling shall include, but are not limited to:
(a) Name and strength and description of the drug;
(b) Route of administration, dosage, dosage form, continuity of therapy and refill information;
(c) Special directions and precautions for preparation, administration, storage and use by the patient as deemed necessary by the pharmacist;
(d) Side effects or adverse effects and interactions and therapeutic contraindications that may be encountered, including their avoidance, which may interfere with the proper use of the drug or device as was intended by the prescriber, and the action required if they occur;
(e) Techniques for self-monitoring drug therapy; and
(f) Action to be taken in the event of a missed dose.
(7) "Deliver" or "delivery" means the actual, constructive or attempted transfer of a drug or device from one (1) person to another, whether or not for a consideration.
(8) "Device" means an instrument, apparatus, implement, machine, contrivance, implant, in vitro reagent or other similar related article including any component part or accessory which is:
(a) Recognized in the official United States Pharmacopoeia or official National Formulary, other drug compendia or any supplement to them;
(b) Intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in man or other animal;
(c) Intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animal, and which does not achieve any of its principal intended purposes through chemical action within or on the body of man or other animal, and which is not dependent upon being metabolized for the achievement of any of its principal intended purposes.
(9) "Dispense" or "dispensing" means the preparation and delivery of a drug pursuant to a lawful prescription drug order of a practitioner in a suitable container appropriately labeled for subsequent administration to or use by a patient or other individual entitled to receive the prescription.
(10) "Distribute" means the delivery of a drug other than by administering or dispensing.
(11) "Drug" means:
(a) Articles recognized as drugs in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official National Formulary, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia, other drug compendia or any supplement to any of them;
(b) Articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in man or other animal;
(c) Articles, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals; and
(d) Articles intended for use as a component of any articles specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) of this subsection.
(12) "Drug order" means a prescription drug order issued in the unique form and manner permitted for a patient or resident of an institutional facility or as permitted for other purposes as defined in rules. Unless specifically differentiated, state law applicable to a prescription drug order is also applicable to a drug order.
(13) "Drug outlets" means all resident or nonresident pharmacies, business entities and other facilities where employees or personnel are engaged in the practice of pharmacy, in the provision of pharmaceutical care, or in the dispensing, delivering, distributing or manufacturing of drugs or devices in or into Idaho.
(14) "Extern" means a bona fide student enrolled in an approved school or college of pharmacy who has not received his first professional degree in pharmacy.
(15) "Externship" means a structured practical experience program in pharmacy administered by a school or college of pharmacy.
(16) "Institutional facility" means a facility for which its primary purpose is to provide a physical environment for patients to obtain health care services and in which patients spend a majority of their time, as may be further defined by board rules.
(17) "Intern" means any person who has completed a course of study at an approved school or college of pharmacy, received the first professional degree in pharmacy and is registered with the board as a pharmacist intern. Interns must register with the board prior to commencement of an internship program.
(18) "Internship" means a postgraduate practical experience program under the supervision of a preceptor.
(19) "Investigational or new drug" means any drug which is limited by state or federal law to use under professional supervision of a practitioner authorized by law to prescribe or administer such drug.
(20) "Labeling" means the process of preparing and affixing of a label to any drug container, exclusive however, of the labeling by a manufacturer, packer or distributor of a nonprescription drug or commercially packaged legend drug or device. Any such label shall include all information required by federal and state law.
(21) "Limited service outlet" means a resident or nonresident facility or business entity that is subject to registration by the board, pursuant to section 54-1729, Idaho Code, and has employees or personnel engaged in the practice of pharmacy, in the provision of pharmaceutical care, or in the dispensing, delivering, distributing or manufacturing of drugs or devices but is not a retail pharmacy, institutional facility, manufacturer, wholesaler, veterinary drug outlet, nonresident central drug outlet or mail service pharmacy.
(22) "Mail service pharmacy" means a nonresident pharmacy that ships, mails or delivers by any lawful means a dispensed legend drug to residents in this state pursuant to a legally issued prescription drug order and ensures the provision of corresponding related pharmaceutical care services required by law.
(23) "Manufacture" means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, conversion or processing of a device or a drug, either directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of natural origin or independently by means of chemical synthesis or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis and includes any packaging or repackaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation or compounding of a drug by an individual for his own use or the preparation, compounding, packaging or labeling of a drug:
(a) By a pharmacist or practitioner as an incident to his administering, dispensing or, as authorized by board rule, distributing of a drug in the course of his professional practice; or
(b) By a practitioner or by his authorization under his supervision for the purpose of or as an incident to research, teaching or chemical analysis and not for sale.
(24) "Manufacturer" means a person who by compounding, cultivating, harvesting, mixing or other process, produces or prepares legend drugs, and includes persons who prepare such drugs in dosage forms by mixing, compounding, encapsulating, entableting, or other process, or who packages or repackages such drugs, but does not include pharmacists or practitioners in the practice of their profession.
(25) "Nonprescription drugs" means medicines or drugs which may be sold without a prescription drug order and which are prepackaged for use by the consumer and labeled in accordance with state and federal law.
(26) "Nonresident" means a person or business entity located in the District of Columbia or a state other than Idaho that practices pharmacy including, but not limited to, pharmaceutical care services into Idaho.
(27) "Person" means an individual, corporation, partnership, association or any other legal entity.
(28) "Pharmaceutical care" means drug therapy and other pharmaceutical patient care services intended to achieve outcomes related to the cure or prevention of a disease, elimination or reduction of a patient's symptoms, or arresting or slowing of a disease process as defined in the rules of the board.
(29) "Pharmacist" means an individual licensed by this state to engage in the practice of pharmacy or a pharmacist registered by this state who is located in another state or the District of Columbia and is engaged in the practice of pharmacy into Idaho, unless exempted.
(30) "Pharmacist-in-charge" (PIC) means a pharmacist whose qualifications, responsibilities and reporting requirements are defined in rule.
(31) "Pharmacy" means any facility, department or other place where prescription drug orders are filled or compounded and prescriptions are sold, dispensed, offered or displayed for sale, which has, as its principal purpose, the dispensing of drug and health supplies intended for the general health, welfare and safety of the public.
(32) "Practitioner" means a person licensed in this state and permitted by such license to dispense, conduct research with respect to or administer drugs in the course of professional practice or research in this state.
(33) "Precursor" means a substance, other than a legend drug which is an immediate chemical intermediate that can be processed or synthesized into a legend drug, and is used or produced primarily for use in the manufacture of a legend drug by persons other than persons licensed to manufacture such legend drugs by the Idaho board of pharmacy, registered by the state board of health and welfare, or licensed to practice pharmacy by the Idaho board of pharmacy.
(34) "Preceptor" means a pharmacist licensed and in good standing who supervises the internship or externship training of a registered student pharmacist. The preceptor shall be actively engaged in the practice of pharmacy on a full-time employment basis.
(35) "Prescriber" means an individual currently licensed, registered or otherwise authorized to prescribe and administer drugs in the course of professional practice.
(36) "Prescription drug or legend drug" means a drug which, under federal law is required, prior to being dispensed or delivered, to be labeled with one (1) of the following statements:
(a) "Caution: Federal law prohibits dispensing without a prescription"; or
(b) "Rx Only"; or
(c) "Caution: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian";
or a drug which is required by any applicable federal or state law or regulation to be dispensed on prescription drug order only or is restricted to use by practitioners only.
(37) "Prescription drug order" means a valid order of a practitioner for a drug or device for an ultimate user of the drug or device.
(38) "Prospective drug review" includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
(a) Evaluation of the prescription drug order for:
(i) Known allergies;
(ii) Rational therapy contraindications;
(iii) Reasonable dose and route of administration; and
(iv) Reasonable directions for use.
(b) Evaluation of the prescription drug order for duplication of therapy.
(c) Evaluation of the prescription drug order for interactions:
(ii) Drug-food; and
(d) Evaluation of the prescription drug order for proper utilization:
(i) Over or under utilization; and
(39) "Record" means all papers, letters, memoranda, notes, prescriptions, drug orders, invoices, statements, patient medication charts or files, computerized records or other written indicia, documents or objects which are used in any way in connection with the purchase, sale or handling of any drug or device.
(40) "Sale" means every sale and includes:
(a) Manufacturing, processing, transporting, handling, packaging or any other production, preparation or repackaging;
(b) Exposure, offer, or any other proffer;
(c) Holding, storing or any other possession;
(d) Dispensing, giving, delivering or any other supplying; and
(e) Applying, administering or any other usage.
(41) "Warehouseman" means a person who stores legend drugs for others and who has no control over the disposition of such drugs except for the purpose of such storage.
(42) "Wholesaler" means a person engaged in the business of distributing legend drugs that he himself has not produced or prepared, to persons included in any of the classes named in subsection (2)(a) through (f) of section 54-1734, Idaho Code.
[54-1705, added 1979, ch. 131, sec. 3, p. 404; am. 1989, ch. 193, sec. 14, p. 483; am. 1992, ch. 179, sec. 2, p. 565; am. 1993, ch. 49, sec. 2, p. 126; am. 2000, ch. 103, sec. 1, p. 228; am. 2000, ch. 274, sec. 132, p. 866; am. 2002, ch. 26, sec. 1, p. 29; am. 2006, ch. 290, sec. 1, p. 888; am. 2008, ch. 51, sec. 1, p. 124; am. 2009, ch. 244, sec. 3, p. 749; am. 2011, ch. 135, sec. 2, p. 375; am. 2013, ch. 28, sec. 5, p. 53; am. 2013, ch. 270, sec. 1, p. 698; am. 2014, ch. 146, sec. 2, p. 392.]
The Idaho Code is the property of the state of Idaho and is made available on the Internet as a public service. Any person who reproduces or distributes the Idaho Code for commercial purposes is in violation of the provisions of Idaho law and shall be deemed to be an infringer of the state of Idaho's copyright.