PROVISIONAL REMEDIES IN CIVIL ACTIONS
ATTACHMENTS AND GARNISHMENTS
8-507C. Forms. The notice of exemptions, instructions to debtors and third parties, and the claim of exemption shall be in a form substantially similar to the form hereinafter provided. The forms shall be made available in English and Spanish language translations in the offices of each county sheriff. Notice, written in Spanish, of the availability of these documents in Spanish translation shall be set forth on the notice of exemptions.
IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE/NOTICIA LEGAL IMPORTANTE
MONEY/PERSONAL PROPERTY BELONGING TO YOU MAY HAVE BEEN TAKEN OR HELD IN ORDER TO SATISFY A COURT JUDGMENT. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET YOUR MONEY/PROPERTY BACK SO READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY.
SI SOLAMENTE HABLA ESPANOL PUEDE OBTENER UNA FORMA EN ESPANOL EN EL DEPARTAMENTO DEL SHERIFE.
The enclosed writ of execution and/or notice of garnishment has directed the sheriff to take custody by levying on your money and/or personal property in order to satisfy a court judgment.
The sheriff has levied on your money and/or personal property. You have FOURTEEN (14) DAYS after the date of mailing or personal service of these documents to file a claim of exemption with the sheriff. An exemption from levy entitles you to obtain the release of your money and personal property.
The following is a partial list of money and personal property that may be exempt from levy. EXEMPTIONS ARE PROVIDED BY IDAHO AND FEDERAL LAW AND CAN BE FOUND IN THE IDAHO CODE AND IN THE UNITED STATES CODE. MOST OF THE EXEMPTIONS PROVIDED BY THE STATE ARE CONTAINED IN CHAPTER 6, TITLE 11, IDAHO CODE. GOVERNMENTAL BENEFITS SUCH AS SOCIAL SECURITY, SSI, VETERANS, RAILROAD RETIREMENT, MILITARY, AND WELFARE ARE EXEMPT FROM LEVY IN MOST CASES UNDER FEDERAL LAW.
This list may not be complete and may not include all exemptions that apply in your case because of periodic changes in the law. Additionally, some of the exemptions may not apply in full or under all circumstances. There may be special requirements for child support. You or your attorney should read the exemption statutes which apply to you.
If you believe the money or personal property that is being levied upon is exempt, you should immediately file a claim of exemption. If you fail to make a timely claim of exemption, the sheriff will release money to the plaintiff, or the property may be sold at an execution sale, perhaps at a price substantially below its value, and you may have to bring further court action to recover the money and property.
The sheriff cannot give you legal advice. Therefore, if you have any questions concerning your rights in this action, you should consult an attorney as soon as possible. You may contact the nearest office of Idaho legal aid services, inc. to inquire if you are eligible for their assistance.
SOME EXEMPTIONS TO WHICH YOU MAY BE ENTITLED
Type of Money and Property
1. Alimony, support, maintenance (money or property)
2. Appliances (household) ($750 per item, up to $7,500 gross)
3. Annuity contract payments
4. Bodily injury and wrongful death awards*
5. Books (professional) up to $2,500
6. Burial plots
7. Child support payments*
8. Disability or illness benefits*
9. Furnishings (household) ($750 per item, up to $7,500 gross)
10. Health aids
11. Homestead, house, mobile home, and related structures
12. Jewelry (up to $1,000)
13. Life insurance benefits payable to spouse or dependent*
14. Medical and/or hospital benefits
15. Military retirement and survivor's benefits
16. Motor vehicle: car, truck, motorcycle with a value of up to $7,000 per person
17. Pension: stock bonus, profit sharing annuity, or similar plans
18. Personal property: ($750 per item, up to $7,500 gross) (furnishings, appliances, one firearm, animals, musical instruments, books, clothes, family portraits and heirlooms)
19. Public assistance: federal, state, or local including: Aid to Aged, Blind and Disabled (AABD); Aid to Dependent Children (AFDC); Aid to Permanently and Totally Disabled (APTD)
20. Public Employee's Benefits including Federal Civil Service Retirement, Idaho Retirement and Disability
21. Railroad Retirement Benefits
22. Retirement, pension or profit sharing plan qualified by IRS
23. Social Security Disability and Retirement Benefits
24. SSI (Supplemental Security Insurance Benefits)
25. Tools of trade and implements up to $2,500
26. Unemployment benefits
27. Veterans benefits and insurance
28. Wages or salary:
Consumer debts primarily for personal or household purposes: exemption is 30 times the federal minimum wage or 25% of disposable income, whichever is greater
Nonconsumer debts: exemption is 30 times the federal minimum wage or 25% of disposable income, whichever is greater
29. Worker's compensation
30. An unmatured life insurance contract other than a credit life insurance contract
31. An aggregate interest, not to exceed $5,000, in any accrued dividend or interest under, or loan value of, an unmatured life insurance contract under which the insured is the individual or a person of whom the individual is a dependent
32. An aggregate interest in any tangible personal property, not to exceed the value of $800
*To the extent reasonably necessary for support of family and if not commingled with other funds.
INSTRUCTIONS TO DEFENDANTS AND THIRD PARTIES
In order to claim an exemption from execution and garnishment under Idaho and federal law, you, the defendant, judgment debtor, or a third party, holding or known to have an interest in the money and/or personal property, must:
IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF THE .... JUDICIAL DISTRICT OF THE STATE
OF IDAHO, IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF ....
I claim an exemption from levy for the following described money and/or property:
a. Money, including money in a bank account, which was paid to me or my family as:
The Idaho Code is the property of the state of Idaho and is made available on the Internet as a public service. Any person who reproduces or distributes the Idaho Code for commercial purposes is in violation of the provisions of Idaho law and shall be deemed to be an infringer of the state of Idaho's copyright.