Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


19-4901.  Remedy — To whom available — Conditions. (a) Any person who has been convicted of, or sentenced for, a crime and who claims:
(1)  That the conviction or the sentence was in violation of the constitution of the United States or the constitution or laws of this state;
(2)  That the court was without jurisdiction to impose sentence;
(3)  That the sentence exceeds the maximum authorized by law;
(4)  That there exists evidence of material facts, not previously presented and heard, that requires vacation of the conviction or sentence in the interest of justice;
(5)  That his sentence has expired, his probation, or conditional release was unlawfully revoked by the court in which he was convicted, or that he is otherwise unlawfully held in custody or other restraint;
(6)  Subject to the provisions of section 19-4902(b) through (g), Idaho Code, that the petitioner is innocent of the offense; or
(7)  That the conviction or sentence is otherwise subject to collateral attack upon any ground of alleged error heretofore available under any common law, statutory or other writ, motion, petition, proceeding, or remedy: may institute, without paying a filing fee, a proceeding under this act to secure relief.
(b)  This remedy is not a substitute for nor does it affect any remedy incident to the proceedings in the trial court, or of an appeal from the sentence or conviction. Any issue which could have been raised on direct appeal, but was not, is forfeited and may not be considered in post-conviction proceedings, unless it appears to the court, on the basis of a substantial factual showing by affidavit, deposition or otherwise, that the asserted basis for relief raises a substantial doubt about the reliability of the finding of guilt and could not, in the exercise of due diligence, have been presented earlier. Except as otherwise provided in this act, it comprehends and takes the place of all other common law, statutory, or other remedies heretofore available for challenging the validity of the conviction or sentence. It shall be used exclusively in place of them.

[19-4901, added 1967, ch. 25, sec. 1, p. 42; am. 1975, ch. 8, sec. 1, p. 13; am. 1986, ch. 126, sec. 1, p. 326; am. 2001, ch. 317, sec. 2, p. 1129; am. 2010, ch. 135, sec. 2, p. 288.]

How current is this law?