25-2906. Council — Powers and duties. The council shall have the following powers and duties:
1. Conform and comply with the federal beef promotion and research order issued by the United States department of agriculture as long as the federal beef promotion and research order is in effect.
2. Conduct scientific research to discover and develop the commercial value of beef.
3. Enter into contracts which it deems appropriate in carrying out the promotion of the cattle industry of this state.
4. Sue and be sued as a council, without individual liability of the council members, when the council is acting within the scope of the powers of this act.
5. Make grants, donations or contributions to any agency which will promote the cattle industry of this state on both a national, state or local level.
6. Employ subordinate officers and employees of the council, prescribe their duties and fix their compensation.
7. Accept grants, donations, contributions or gifts, from any source, for expenditures for any purpose consistent with the provisions of this act.
8. Prepare each year a proposed budget of the council for the next succeeding fiscal year, and provide upon request a copy of this budget to any person who pays an assessment under this act.
9. Adopt, rescind, modify or amend all proper functional regulations, orders, and resolutions for the exercise of its powers and duties, which shall be provided to anyone upon request.
10. Conduct public relation programs for beef and beef products.
11. Lease, purchase or own personal property or lease real property deemed necessary in the administration of this chapter.
[25-2906, added 1967, ch. 222, sec. 6, p. 670; am. 1986, ch. 246, sec. 1, p. 665; am. 2015, ch. 294, sec. 1, p. 1172.]