PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS
33-5209C. enforcement — revocation — appeal. (1) An authorized chartering entity shall continually monitor the performance and legal compliance of the public charter schools it oversees, including collecting and analyzing data to support ongoing evaluation according to the performance certificate. Every authorized chartering entity shall have the authority to conduct or require oversight activities that enable the authorized chartering entity to fulfill its responsibilities pursuant to the provisions of this chapter, including conducting appropriate inquiries and investigations, so long as those activities are consistent with the intent of this chapter, adhere to the terms of the performance certificate and do not unduly inhibit the autonomy granted to public charter schools.
(2) Each authorized chartering entity shall annually publish and make available to the public a performance report for each public charter school it oversees, in accordance with the performance framework set forth in the performance certificate and section 33-5209A, Idaho Code. The authorized chartering entity may require each public charter school it oversees to submit an annual report to assist the authorized chartering entity in gathering complete information about each school consistent with the performance framework. Each public charter school shall publish its annual performance report on the school’s website.
(3) If an authorized chartering entity has reason to believe that a public charter school cannot remain fiscally sound for the remainder of its certificate term, it shall provide the state department of education with written notification of such concern. Upon receiving such notification, the state department of education shall have the authority to modify the percentage of the total appropriation to be paid to the public charter school pursuant to the provisions of section 33-1009(1), Idaho Code, such that equal percentages are paid on each of the prescribed dates.
(4) If an authorized chartering entity has reason to believe that a charter holder or public charter school has violated any provision of law, it shall notify the charter holder and the entity responsible for administering said law of the possible violation.
(5) If an authorized chartering entity revokes or does not renew a charter, the authorized chartering entity shall clearly state, in a resolution of its governing board, the reasons for the revocation or nonrenewal.
(6) Within fourteen (14) days of taking action to renew, not renew or revoke a charter, the authorized chartering entity shall report to the state board of education the action taken and shall provide a copy of the report to the charter holder at the same time that the report is submitted to the state board of education. The report shall include a copy of the authorized chartering entity’s resolution setting forth the action taken and reasons for the decision and assurances as to compliance with all of the requirements set forth in this chapter.
(7) A charter may be revoked by the authorized chartering entity if the public charter school has failed to meet any of the specific, written conditions for necessary improvements established pursuant to the provisions of section 33-5209B(1), Idaho Code, by the dates specified. Revocation may not occur until the charter holder has been afforded a public hearing, unless the authorized chartering entity determines that the continued operation of the public charter school presents an imminent public safety issue, in which case the charter may be revoked immediately. Public hearings shall be conducted by the authorized chartering entity or such other person or persons appointed by the authorized chartering entity to conduct public hearings and receive evidence as a contested case in accordance with the provisions of section 67-5242, Idaho Code. Notice and opportunity to reply shall include, at a minimum, written notice setting out the basis for consideration of revocation, a period of not less than thirty (30) days within which the charter holder can reply in writing, and a public hearing within thirty (30) days of the receipt of the written reply.
(8) A decision to revoke or nonrenew a charter or to deny a revision of a charter may be appealed directly to the state board of education. With respect to such appeal, the state board of education shall substantially follow the procedure as provided in section 33-5207(5)(b), Idaho Code. In the event the state board of education reverses a decision of revocation or nonrenewal, the charter holder subject to such action shall then be placed under the chartering authority of the public charter school commission.
[33-5209C, added 2013, ch. 343, sec. 13, p. 924; am. 2016, ch. 271, sec. 12, p. 747.]