HEALTH AND SAFETY
HOSPITAL LICENSES AND INSPECTION
39-1392a. Definitions. The following terms shall have the following meanings when used in this section:
(1) "Emergency medical services personnel" means emergency medical services providers certified by the department of health and welfare pursuant to section 56-1011 et seq., Idaho Code, and ambulance-based clinicians as defined in the rules governing emergency medical services as promulgated by the department of health and welfare.
(2) "Group medical practice" means a partnership, corporation, limited liability company, or other association formed for the purpose of offering health care services through physicians and other licensed or otherwise authorized health care providers who are partners, shareholders, members, employees, or contractors of such group medical practice.
(3) "Health care organization" means a hospital, in-hospital medical staff committee, medical society, managed care organization, licensed emergency medical service, group medical practice, residential care facility or skilled nursing facility.
(4) "Hospital" means a facility in Idaho licensed under sections 39-1301 through 39-1314, Idaho Code, and defined in section 39-1301(a)(1), Idaho Code.
(5) "In-hospital medical staff committees" means any individual doctor who is a hospital staff member, or any hospital employee, or any group of such doctors and/or hospital employees, who are duly designated a committee by hospital staff bylaws, by action of an organized hospital staff, or by action of the board of directors of a hospital, and which committee is authorized by said bylaws, staff or board of directors, to conduct research or study of hospital patient cases, or of medical questions or problems using data and information from hospital patient cases.
(6) "Licensed emergency medical service" means an ambulance service or a nontransport service licensed by the department of health and welfare pursuant to section 56-1011 et seq., Idaho Code.
(7) "Managed care organization" means a public or private person or organization which offers a managed care plan.
(8) "Managed care plan" means a contract of coverage given to an individual, family or group of covered individuals pursuant to which a member is entitled to receive a defined set of health care benefits through an organized system of health care providers in exchange for defined consideration and which requires the member to use, or creates financial incentives for the member to use, health care providers owned, managed, employed by or under contract with the managed care organization.
(9) "Medical society" means any duly constituted, authorized and recognized professional society or entity made up of physicians licensed to practice medicine in Idaho, having as its purpose the maintenance of high quality in the standards of health care provided in Idaho or any region or segment of the state, operating with the approval of the Idaho state board of medicine, or any official committee appointed by the Idaho state board of medicine.
(10) "Patient care records" means written or otherwise recorded, preserved and maintained records of the medical or surgical diagnostic, clinical, or therapeutic care of any patient treated by or under the direction of licensed professional personnel, including emergency medical services personnel, in every health care organization subject to this act, whether as an inpatient or outpatient of the health care organization.
(11) "Peer review" means the collection, interpretation and analysis of data by a health care organization for the purpose of bettering the system of delivery of health care or to improve the provision of health care or to otherwise reduce patient morbidity and mortality and improve the quality of patient care. Peer review activities by a health care organization include, without limitation:
(a) Credentialing, privileging or affiliating of health care providers as members of, or providers for, a health care organization;
(b) Quality assurance and improvement, patient safety investigations and analysis, patient adverse outcome reviews, and root-cause analysis and investigation activities by a health care organization; and
(c) Professional review action, meaning an action or recommendation of a health care organization which is taken or made in the conduct of peer review, that is based on the competence or professional conduct of an individual physician or emergency medical services personnel where such conduct adversely affects or could adversely affect the health or welfare of a patient or the physician’s privileges, employment or membership in the health care organization or in the case of emergency medical services personnel, the emergency medical services personnel’s scope of practice, employment or membership in the health care organization.
(12) "Peer review records" means all evidence of interviews, reports, statements, minutes, memoranda, notes, investigative graphs and compilations and the contents thereof, and all physical materials relating to peer review of any health care organization. "Peer review records" does not mean or include patient care records; provided however, that the records relating to the identification of which particular patient care records were selected for, or reviewed, examined or discussed in peer review by a health care organization and the methodology used for selecting such records shall be considered peer review records.
(13) "Skilled nursing facility" means a facility licensed under chapter 13, title 39, Idaho Code, to provide skilled care to recipients.
[39-1392a, added 1973, ch. 265, sec. 2, p. 545; am. 1984, ch. 113, sec. 1, p. 257; am. 1997, ch. 171, sec. 2, p. 486; am. 2003, ch. 244, sec. 1, p. 629; am. 2004, ch. 134, sec. 1, p. 455; am. 2005, ch. 103, sec. 1, p. 324; am. 2018, ch. 145, sec. 1, p. 300.]