HEALTH AND SAFETY
PUBLIC HEALTH DISTRICTS
39-411. Composition of district board — Qualifications of members — Appointment and removal — Terms — selection of officers — board of trustees of district boards of health. (1) For those districts comprised of :
(a) Fewer than eight (8) counties, the district board of health shall consist of seven (7) members to be appointed by the boards of county commissioners within each district acting jointly, and each board of county commissioners may appoint a board member.
(b) Eight (8) counties, the district board of health shall consist of not fewer than eight (8) members nor more than nine (9) members, and each board of county commissioners may appoint a board member.
(2) Each member of the district board of health shall be a citizen of the United States, a resident of the state of Idaho and the public health district for one (1) year immediately last past, and a qualified elector. One (1) member of the district board, if available to serve, shall be a physician licensed by the Idaho state board of medicine, and no more than one (1) member shall be appointed from any professional or special interest group. All members shall be chosen with due regard to their knowledge and interest in public health and in promoting the health of the citizens of the state and the public health district. Representation shall be assured from rural as well as urban population groups.
(3) All appointments to the district board shall be confirmed by a majority vote of all the county commissioners of all the counties located within the public health district. Any member of the district board may be removed by majority vote of all the county commissioners of all the counties located within the district.
(4) The members of the district board of health shall be appointed for a term of five (5) years, subject to reappointment; and vacancies on the board for an unexpired term shall be filled for the balance of the unexpired term. Notwithstanding any provision of this section as to term of appointment, if a board member is an appointee for a board of county commissioners, and if that board member is an elected county commissioner and leaves office prior to the expiration of the term on the district board of health, the board of county commissioners may declare the position vacant and may appoint another currently elected county commissioner to fill the unexpired portion of the term of that board member.
(5) The members of the district board, each year, shall select a chairman, a vice chairman and a trustee. The trustee shall represent the district board as a member of the board of trustees of the Idaho district boards of health.
(6) The board of trustees of the Idaho district boards of health shall have authority to allocate appropriations from the legislature to the health districts. Such authority is limited to the development and administration of formulas for the allocation of legislative appropriations. Any formula adopted by the board of trustees must be in use, without alteration, for at least two (2) years; provided that during the two (2) year period, the formula may be changed if an emergency occurs, the emergency is declared and there is a unanimous vote of the board of trustees to make the emergency formula change. All proceedings of the board of trustees shall be subject to the provisions of chapter 2, title 74, Idaho Code.
[39-411, added 1970, ch. 90, sec. 4, p. 218; am. 1972, ch. 159, sec. 1, p. 352; am. 1973, ch. 29, sec. 3, p. 56; am. 1984, ch. 38, sec. 1, p. 64; am. 1986, ch. 63, sec. 3, p. 181; am. 1992, ch. 122, sec. 1, p. 400; am. 1999, ch. 61, sec. 1, p. 158; am. 2007, ch. 163, sec. 1, p. 489; am. 2010, ch. 287, sec. 1, p. 768; am. 2018, ch. 296, sec. 1, p. 700.]