HEALTH AND SAFETY
HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT
39-4403. Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the Idaho board of environmental quality.
(2) "Commercial hazardous waste facility or site" means any hazardous waste facility whose primary business is the treatment, storage or disposal, for a fee or other consideration, of hazardous waste generated offsite by generators other than the owner and operator of the facility.
(3) "Department" means the Idaho department of environmental quality.
(4) "Director" means the director of the Idaho department of environmental quality or the director’s authorized agent.
(5) "Disposal" means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking or placing of any hazardous waste into or on any land or water so that such hazardous waste or any constituent thereof may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any waters, including ground waters.
(6) "Gate ton" means the weight, in tons (2,000 pounds/ton), of waste material received at a facility. This weight does not include any subsequent changes to the weight resulting from the management of the waste by the facility.
(7) "Generator" means any person, who by virtue of ownership, management, or control, is responsible for causing or allowing to be caused the creation of a hazardous waste.
(8) "Hazardous waste" means a waste or combination of wastes of a solid, liquid, semisolid, or contained gaseous form which, because of its quantity, concentration or characteristics (physical, chemical or biological) may:
(a) Cause or significantly contribute to an increase in deaths or an increase in serious, irreversible or incapacitating reversible illnesses; or
(b) Pose a substantial threat to human health or to the environment if improperly treated, stored, disposed of, or managed. Such wastes include, but are not limited to, materials which are toxic, corrosive, ignitible, or reactive, or materials which may have mutagenic, teratogenic, or carcinogenic properties but do not include solid or dissolved material in domestic sewage, or solid or dissolved materials in irrigation return flows or industrial discharges which are point sources subject to national pollution discharge elimination system permits under the federal water pollution control act, as amended, 33 U.S.C., section 1251 et seq., or source, special nuclear, or byproduct material as defined by the atomic energy act of 1954, as amended, 42 U.S.C., section 2011 et seq.
(9) "Hazardous waste management" means the systematic control of the collection, source separation, storage, treatment, transportation, processing, and disposal of hazardous wastes.
(10) "Hazardous waste facility or site" means any property, structure, or ancillary equipment intended or used for the transportation, treatment, storage or disposal of hazardous wastes.
(11) "Injection" means the subsurface emplacement of free liquids.
(12) "Manifest" means a form used for identifying the quantity, composition, origin, routing, waste identification code(s), and destination of hazardous waste during any transportation from the point of generation to the point of treatment, storage or disposal.
(13) "Manifested waste" means waste which at the point of origin or generation is required to be manifested for transportation in a manner similar to that of the federal uniform hazardous waste manifest or by other manifest requirements designed to assure proper treatment, storage and disposal of such waste.
(14) "PCB waste" means any waste or waste item which is not included in the definition of "hazardous waste" and which is contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls.
(15) "Person" means any individual, association, partnership, firm, joint stock company, trust, estate, political subdivision, public or private corporation, state or federal governmental department, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal entity which is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties.
(16) "RCRA" means the resource conservation and recovery act of 1976 as amended from time to time.
(17) "Restricted hazardous waste" means a waste or combination of wastes regulated as land disposal restricted pursuant to federal statutes and regulations, including 40 CFR part 268. Restricted hazardous waste also includes byproduct, source, special nuclear materials or devices or equipment, except as provided below, utilizing such materials regulated under the federal atomic energy act of 1954, as amended. Restricted hazardous waste shall not include radiologically contaminated waste materials from "Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP)" sites administered by the United States army corps of engineers or materials that have been exempted or released from radiological control or regulation under the atomic energy act of 1954, as amended, to be disposed of in a commercial hazardous waste facility as regulated pursuant to the rules, permit requirements and acceptance criteria provided for by this chapter.
(18) "Storage" means the containment of hazardous wastes, on a temporary basis or for a period of years, in such a manner as not to constitute disposal of such hazardous wastes.
(19) "Transportation" means the movement of any hazardous waste to or from a hazardous waste facility or site.
(20) "Transporter" means any person who transports a hazardous waste to or from a hazardous waste facility or site.
(21) "Treatment" means any method, technique, or process, including neutralization, which is designed not to be an integral part of a production process, but which is rather designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any hazardous waste prior to storage or final disposal so as to neutralize such waste or so as to render such waste nonhazardous or less hazardous; safer to transport, store, or dispose of; or amenable for recovery, amenable for storage or reduced in volume. Such term includes any activity or processing designed to change the physical form or chemical composition of hazardous waste so as to render it nonhazardous.
(22) "Waste" means any solid, semisolid, liquid or contained gaseous material for which no reasonable use or reuse is intended or which is intended to be discarded.
[39-4403, added 1983, ch. 154, sec. 1, p. 418; am. 1984, ch. 205, sec. 1, p. 503; am. 1986, ch. 148, sec. 1, p. 416; am. 1986, ch. 324, sec. 1, p. 794; am. 1989, ch. 253, sec. 1, p. 626; am. 1993, ch. 291, sec. 1, p. 1083; am. 1994, ch. 419, sec. 1, p. 1310; am. 2001, ch. 103, sec. 45, p. 288; am. 2001, ch. 297, sec. 3, p. 1074; am. 2011, ch. 38, sec. 1, p. 92; am. 2014, ch. 265, sec. 1, p. 660.]