HEALTH AND SAFETY
PREVENTION OF MINORS’ ACCESS TO TOBACCO
39-5704. Permitting of tobacco product retailers. (1) It shall be unlawful to sell or distribute or offer tobacco products for sale or distribution at retail or to possess tobacco products with the intention of selling at retail without having first obtained a tobacco permit from the department which shall be the only retail tobacco permit or license required. Provided however, this section shall not be deemed to require a wholesaler or manufacturer’s representative or their employees who, in the course of their employment, stock shelves and replenish tobacco products at a permittee’s place of business to obtain a permit.
(2) The department shall administer the permitting of tobacco product retailers and shall be authorized to ensure compliance with this chapter. The department may promulgate rules in compliance with chapter 52, title 67, Idaho Code, regarding permitting of tobacco product retailers, inspections, and compliance checks, effective training and employment practices under this chapter.
(3) Permits shall be issued annually for no charge for each business location to ensure compliance with the requirements of this chapter. A copy of this chapter, rules adopted by the department, appropriate signage required by this chapter and any materials deemed necessary shall be provided with each permit issued.
(4) A separate permit must be obtained for each place of business and is nontransferable to another person, business or location.
(5) Permittees may display the permit in a prominent location.
(6) A permittee may display a sign in each location within a place of business where tobacco products are sold or distributed. A sign may be clearly visible to the customer and the seller and shall state: "STATE LAW PROHIBITS THE SALE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS TO PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN (18) YEARS. PROOF OF AGE REQUIRED. ANYONE WHO SELLS OR DISTRIBUTES TOBACCO TO A MINOR IS SUBJECT TO STRICT FINES AND PENALTIES. MINORS ARE SUBJECT TO FINES AND PENALTIES."
(7) Permittees are responsible to educate employees as to the requirements of this chapter.
(8) It shall be unlawful for the permittee to allow employees who are minors to sell or distribute tobacco. Exception: Employees who are minors may possess but not sell or distribute tobacco products in the course of employment, for such duties as stocking shelves or carrying purchases to customers’ vehicles.
[39-5704, added 1998, ch. 418, sec. 2, p. 1318.]