41-721. Mortgage loans and contracts. An insurer may invest any of its funds in:
(1) Bonds or evidences of debt which are secured by first mortgages or deeds of trust on improved unencumbered real property located in the United States.
(2) Purchase money mortgages or like securities received by it upon the sale or exchange of real property acquired pursuant to section 41-728, Idaho Code.
(3) Bonds or notes secured by mortgage or trust deed guaranteed or insured by the federal housing administration under the terms of an act of congress of the United States for June twenty-seventh, nineteen hundred thirty-four, entitled the "National Housing Act," as amended.
(4) Bonds or notes secured by mortgage or trust deed guaranteed or insured as to principal in whole or in part by the administrator of veterans affairs pursuant to the provisions of title III of an act of congress of the United States of June twenty-second, nineteen hundred forty-four, entitled the "Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944," as amended, or by any other similar agency of the government of the United States.
(5) Evidences of debt secured by first mortgages or deeds of trust upon leasehold estates, running for a term of not less than fifteen (15) years beyond the maturity of the loan as made or as extended, in improved real property, otherwise unencumbered, and if the mortgagee is entitled to be subrogated to all the rights under the leasehold.
(6) Bonds or notes secured by mortgage and insured by mortgage guarantee insurance as provided by chapter 26A, title 41, Idaho Code.
(7) Participation interests in any bond, note or evidence of indebtedness if the entire indebtedness would qualify as an investment under subsections (1) through (6) of this section, and:
(a) Such participation is senior and gives the holder substantially the rights of a first mortgagee; or
(b) Such participation is of equal priority, to the extent of such interest, with other interests therein.
[41-721, added 1961, ch. 330, sec. 158, p. 645; am. 1969, ch. 214, sec. 23, p. 625; am. 1974, ch. 91, sec. 2, p. 1187; am. 2003, ch. 163, sec. 1, p. 459; am. 2006, ch. 26, sec. 1, p. 84.]