Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


49-2202.  Permit requirements for transporters of hazardous wastes. (1) Every person, including a private carrier or a common or contract carrier, who operates a vehicle on any highway of this state transporting hazardous waste shall first procure from the department an annual or single trip permit for each vehicle so driven in which the shipment meets any one of the following qualifiers:
(a)  Is required to be placarded pursuant to title 49, code of federal regulations, part 172;
(b)  Is manifested on a United States environmental protection agency uniform hazardous waste manifest form 8700-22 and 8700-22A, or its equivalent;
(c)  Is any waste material containing polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) which is regulated by title 40, code of federal regulations, part 761; but in the event waste material is being transported to a disposal facility approved in compliance with 40 CFR 761.70 or 40 CFR 761.75 and is accompanied by a hazardous waste manifest form 8700-22 or 8700-22A, or its equivalent, then a permit shall be required regardless of the polychlorinated biphenyl concentration.
This permit shall be available for examination and shall be displayed in accordance with rules adopted by the department. The provisions of this section shall not apply to vehicles owned by any city, county, state or federal governmental department or agency, special purpose district created pursuant to law or rural electric cooperatives.
(2)  The fee for a single trip permit for the transportation of hazardous waste shall be twenty dollars ($20.00).
(3)  The fee for an annual permit for the transportation of hazardous waste shall be two hundred fifty dollars ($250).
(4)  Any carrier required to pay the fees assessed pursuant to this section is authorized to pass along such fees to the shipping party. No portion of the fees shall be prorated, reduced or transferred to another vehicle.
(5)  The department may select vendors to serve as agents on state highways for the purpose of selling hazardous waste permits where fixed ports of entry do not adequately serve a respective highway entering the state. The vendor shall be remunerated at the rate determined by contract between the vendor and the department per permit sold, and the vendor shall collect the fees provided in this section, and pay the fees to the department. The vendor shall guarantee payment by giving a bond to the state of Idaho in a sum as shall be fixed by the department, the premium on the bond to be paid by the department.
(6)  The operation of a vehicle, which is subject to the permit requirements of this section in a negligent manner is a violation of the provisions of this chapter.

[49-2202, added 1988, ch. 265, sec. 454, p. 814; am. 1989, ch. 317, sec. 1, p. 816; am. 1990, ch. 331, sec. 1, p. 908; am. 2006, ch. 20, sec. 1, p. 78.]

How current is this law?