MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVER’S LICENSES
49-304. Motorcycle endorsement. The department shall issue a motorcycle "M" endorsement on a driver’s license to applicants who complete the requirements to operate a motorcycle.
(1) No person may operate a motorcycle upon a highway without a motorcycle "M" endorsement on a valid driver’s license.
(2) Any person who applies for a driver’s license or renewal of a license may also apply for a motorcycle "M" endorsement. The requirements for obtaining a motorcycle "M" endorsement are:
(a) The applicant shall be tested by written examination for his knowledge of safe motorcycle operating practices and traffic laws specific to the operation of motorcycles upon payment of the fee specified in section 49-306, Idaho Code.
(b) Upon successful completion of the knowledge test and upon payment of the fee required for an "M" endorsement, the applicant shall obtain a motorcycle "M" endorsement on his driver’s license.
(3) No person under the age of twenty-one (21) years may apply for or obtain a motorcycle "M" endorsement on his driver’s license unless he has successfully completed a motorcycle rider training course approved under the provisions of chapter 49, title 33, Idaho Code, in addition to satisfying the requirements specified in subsection (2) of this section. The provisions of this subsection shall not be effective unless and until the motorcycle rider training course is fully implemented by the division of career technical education.
(4) Any person who applies for a motorcycle endorsement on a driver’s license, in addition to the requirements specified in subsection (2) of this section, may also be required to pass the motorcycle "M" skills test before he can obtain the motorcycle "M" endorsement.
(5) The operation of a motorcycle upon a highway by any person who has failed to obtain a motorcycle "M" endorsement as provided in this section shall constitute an infraction.
(6) The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons operating autocycles.
[49-304, added 1994, ch. 234, sec. 5, p. 735; am. 1998, ch. 110, sec. 15, p. 397; am. 2002, ch. 355, sec. 2, p. 1012; am. 2005, ch. 25, sec. 56, p. 103; am. 2008, ch. 18, sec. 2, p. 26; am. 2009, ch. 30, sec. 7, p. 84; am. 2015, ch. 230, sec. 3, p. 725; am. 2016, ch. 25, sec. 40, p. 57.]