PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
54-2701. DEFINITIONS. The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Commercial account" means a relationship between a scrap metal business and a commercial enterprise that is ongoing and properly documented under this chapter.
(2) "Commercial enterprise" means a corporation, partnership, limited liability company, association, state agency, political subdivision of the state, public corporation, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(3) "Commercial metal property" means property sold by a commercial enterprise consisting of: access covers; street light poles and fixtures; road and bridge guardrails; highway or street signs; water meter covers; traffic directional and control signs; traffic light signals; any metal property marked with the name of a municipality, governmental entity or a commercial enterprise, including, but not limited to, a telephone, cable, electric, water, natural gas, or other utility, or railroad materials; copper or aluminum wiring with associated clamps and connectors; aluminum or stainless steel fence panels; aluminum decking, bleachers, or risers; historical markers; statue plaques; grave markers and funeral vases; agricultural irrigation equipment not limited to wheels, sprinkler heads, or pivots or pipes; or catalytic converters.
(4) "Nonferrous metal property" means metal property for which the value of the metal property is derived from the property’s content of copper, brass, aluminum, bronze, lead, zinc, nickel, gold, silver, platinum, rhodium, palladium, and their alloys, but shall not include aluminum beverage containers, used beverage containers or similar beverage containers; however, the term includes stainless steel beer kegs and catalytic converters.
(5) "Record" means a paper, electronic, or other method of storing information.
(6) "Scrap metal business" means a scrap metal supplier, scrap metal recycling center, or scrap metal processor that is a commercial enterprise that purchases, receives and processes nonferrous metal property, stainless steel or commercial metal property.
(7) "Scrap metal processor" means a person with a current business license that conducts business from a permanent location, that is engaged in the business of purchasing or receiving metal property for the purpose of altering the metal in preparation for its use as feedstock in the manufacture of new products, and that maintains a hydraulic bailer, shearing device, crusher or shredding device for recycling.
(8) "Scrap metal recycling center" means a person with a current business license that is engaged in the business of purchasing or receiving nonferrous metal property for the purpose of aggregation and sale to another scrap metal business and that maintains a fixed place of business within the state.
(9) "Scrap metal supplier" means a person that is engaged in the business of purchasing or receiving nonferrous metal property for the purpose of aggregation and sale to a scrap metal recycling center or scrap metal processor and that does not maintain a fixed business location in the state.
(10) "Transaction" means a pledge, or the purchase of, or the trade of any item of nonferrous metal property by a scrap metal business from a member of the general public. "Transaction" does not include donations or the purchase or receipt of nonferrous metal property by a scrap metal business from a commercial enterprise, from another scrap metal business, or from a duly authorized employee or agent of the commercial enterprise or scrap metal business.
[54-2701, added 2009, ch. 152, sec. 2, p. 441; am. 2013, ch. 286, sec. 1, p. 738; am. 2014, ch. 321, sec. 1, p. 795; am. 2023, ch. 238, sec. 1, p. 736.]