PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
54-3912. Board of athletic trainers — Created — Appointment — Terms. (1) A board of athletic trainers is hereby created and made a part of the Idaho state board of medicine.
(2) The board of athletic trainers shall consist of four (4) members, three (3) of whom shall be Idaho licensed athletic trainers actively engaged in the practice of athletic training in this state and one (1) of whom shall be a lay person.
(3) The board shall appoint the members of the board of athletic trainers. In making appointments to the board of athletic trainers, the board shall give consideration to recommendations made by professional organizations of athletic trainers and physicians.
(4) All members of the board of athletic trainers shall have been residents of the state of Idaho for one (1) year immediately preceding appointment. In appointing the athletic trainer members of the first board of athletic trainers, the board may appoint any practicing athletic trainer who possesses the qualifications required by section 54-3906, Idaho Code. All members must be persons of integrity and good reputation. The lay member must be a person who has never been authorized to practice a healing art, and who has never had a substantial personal, business, professional or pecuniary connection with a healing art or with a medical education or health care facility, except as a client or potential client.
(5) The board of athletic trainers shall be appointed within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this chapter for terms ending December 31. Of the first members of the board of athletic trainers appointed, one (1) member’s term shall expire December 31, 1990; one (1) member’s term shall expire December 31, 1991; one (1) member’s term shall expire December 31, 1992; and one (1) member’s term shall expire December 31, 1993. After the initial appointments, all terms shall be four (4) years, and a member may be reappointed. In the event of death, resignation or removal of any member before the expiration of the term to which appointed, the vacancy shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term in the same manner as the original appointment. The board may remove any member for cause at any time prior to the expiration of his term.
(6) The board of athletic trainers shall hold at least one (1) meeting each year. At the meeting, the board of athletic trainers shall elect from among its members for a term of one (1) year commencing on July 1 next, a chairperson. The board of athletic trainers may hold additional meetings on the call of the chairperson or at the written request of any two (2) members of the board of athletic trainers. The board of athletic trainers may appoint committees as it considers necessary to carry out its duties. The quorum required for any meeting of the board of athletic trainers is three (3) members. No action by the board of athletic trainers or its members has any effect unless a quorum of the board of athletic trainers is present.
[(54-3912) 54-3913, added 1989, ch. 179, sec. 1, p. 444; am. & redesig. 2003, ch. 261, sec. 12, p. 694.]