PUBLIC ASSISTANCE AND WELFARE
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND WELFARE
56-1001. Definitions. Whenever used or referred to in this chapter, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Biological agent" means a bacterium, virus, fungus, protozoan, parasite, or other microorganism and associated toxins with the ability to adversely affect human health or cause death.
(2) "Board" means the board of health and welfare as created in section 56-1005, Idaho Code.
(3) "Chemical agent" means any chemical that through its chemical action on life processes can cause death, temporary incapacitation, or permanent harm to humans or animals.
(4) "Department" means the department of health and welfare.
(5) "Director" means the director of the department of health and welfare.
(6) "Isolation" means the separation of a person diagnosed with an infectious or a communicable disease, presenting medically unknown symptoms, or contaminated from a chemical, nuclear, or biological agent for a period of time limited to when the person is infectious, displaying medically unknown symptoms, or contaminated.
(7) "Laboratory" means not only facilities for biological, serological, biophysical, cytological and pathological tests but also facilities for the chemical or other examination of materials from water, air or other substances.
(8) "Medically unknown symptoms" means symptoms that are or could be suggestive of an infectious or communicable disease and that do not sufficiently reveal the structural or other specified pathology of an illness on initial examination.
(9) "Person" means any individual, association, partnership, firm, joint stock company, trust, estate, political subdivision, public or private corporation, state or federal governmental department, agency or instrumentality, or any other legal entity recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties.
(10) "Public swimming pool" means an artificial structure, and its appurtenances, that contains water more than two (2) feet deep that is used or intended to be used for swimming or recreational bathing, and that is for the use of any segment of the public pursuant to a general invitation but not an invitation to a specific occasion or occasions. The term does not include a swimming pool operated solely for and in conjunction with a hotel, motel or other place of lodging, or a trailer park, apartment, condominium or any other residential facility containing multiple dwellings.
(11) "Quarantine" means the separation of a person exposed to:
(a) An infectious or a communicable disease;
(b) Another person displaying medically unknown symptoms; or
(c) Another person exposed to contamination from a chemical, nuclear, or biological agent;
under circumstances likely to result in the spread of the disease, symptoms, or contaminant to the person who had such contact. The separation may last only for a reasonable period of time sufficient to determine whether or not the exposed person will become sick.
(12) "Restricted access" means limited or disallowed access to an area:
(a) That has been cordoned off;
(b) At which signs have been posted limiting or disallowing access; or
(c) To which entry or exit has in some other way been limited or blocked.
(13) "State" means the state of Idaho.
(14) "Substantive" means that which creates, defines or regulates the rights of any person or implements, interprets or prescribes law or policy, but does not include statements concerning only the internal management of the department and not affecting private rights or procedures available to the public.
[56-1001, added 2000, ch. 132, sec. 38, p. 346; am. 2002, ch. 191, sec. 1, p. 550; am. 2003, ch. 240, sec. 1, p. 620; am. 2021, ch. 257, sec. 1, p. 788.]