RAILROADS AND OTHER PUBLIC UTILITIES
TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1988
62-610B. Definitions. For purposes of section 62-610, Idaho Code, and sections 62-610A through 62-610F, Idaho Code, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Eligible telecommunications carrier" means a telecommunications carrier designated by the commission who has the obligation to provide universal service throughout the service area for which the designation is received.
(2) "Fund" means the Idaho telecommunications universal service fund established by the commission pursuant to sections 62-610A and 62-610F, Idaho Code.
(3) "Service area" means a geographic area designated by the commission for the purpose of determining universal service obligations of eligible telecommunications carriers. In the case of a rural telephone company "service area" means the company’s "study area(s)" as established by the federal communications commission and the public utilities commission.
(4) "Support area" means a geographic area designated by the commission as a high-cost area for which eligible telecommunications carrier(s) serving such area may receive financial assistance from the universal service fund. The commission shall consider population distribution, geographic factors, cost model capabilities and other relevant considerations in making such a determination.
(5) "Telecommunications carrier" means a telephone corporation providing telecommunication services for compensation within this state, and shall, for the purposes of sections 62-610A through 62-610F, Idaho Code, include municipal, cooperative or mutual telephone companies and telecommunications companies providing wireless, cellular, personal communications services and mobile radio services for compensation.
(6) "Universal service" means basic local exchange service and other telecommunication services designated by the commission as services which should be widely available to consumers in all regions of the state at just and reasonable rates.
(7) All other terms, words or phrases shall have the meaning set forth in section 62-603, Idaho Code.
[62-610B, added 1998, ch. 37, sec. 3, p. 159; am. 1999, ch. 114, sec. 4, p. 345.]