STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
67-1410. Internet crimes against children unit. (1) There is hereby established in the office of the attorney general the internet crimes against children unit (ICAC) that shall have the authority and responsibilities as set forth in this section.
(2) The ICAC shall have the authority and responsibility to conduct a statewide program for the investigation and prosecution of violations of all applicable Idaho laws that involve or are directly related to child pornography and solicitation of minors for pornography, prostitution or sex-related offenses.
(3) The ICAC shall be under the exclusive control of the attorney general.
(4) The attorney general may request and receive the assistance of, and may enter into written agreements with, any prosecutor or law enforcement agency as necessary to implement the duties and responsibilities assigned to the ICAC under this section. This will include contracting for the assistance of law enforcement personnel in the investigation of any violation of any applicable laws pertaining to child pornography and solicitation of minors for pornography, prostitution or sex-related offenses. The attorney general may renew, suspend or revoke any ICAC agreement with a law enforcement agency at any time.
(5) The attorney general shall have the authority to designate ICAC task force agents. ICAC task force agents shall be commissioned law enforcement officers employed by law enforcement agencies.
(a) The designation of an ICAC task force agent is not an act of employment by the office of the attorney general.
(b) ICAC task force agents serve solely at the discretion and will of the attorney general and designation as an ICAC task force agent is not a property right to which due process applies.
(6) Designated ICAC task force agents shall have general peace officer powers and the authority to arrest individuals throughout the state for the purpose of investigation of internet crimes committed against children.
(7) The office of the attorney general shall employ such attorneys, investigators and other personnel as necessary to carry out the responsibilities of the ICAC as set forth under this section.
(8) The attorney general shall have the authority to adopt rules necessary to implement the duties and responsibilities assigned to the ICAC under this section.
[67-1410, added 2013, ch. 245, sec. 2, p. 595.]