STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
ELECTION CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS AND EXPENDITURES — LOBBYISTS
67-6618. Exemption from registration. The following persons and activities shall be exempt from registration and reporting under sections 67-6617 and 67-6619, Idaho Code:
(1) Persons who limit their lobbying activities to appearances before public sessions of committees of the legislature or to appearances or participation in public meetings, public hearings or public proceedings held or initiated by executive officials or their employees.
(2) Persons who are employees of an entity engaged in the business of publishing, broadcasting or televising, while engaged in the gathering and dissemination of news and comment thereon to the general public in the ordinary course of business.
(3) Persons who do not receive any compensation for lobbying and persons whose compensation for lobbying does not exceed two hundred fifty dollars ($250) in the aggregate during any calendar quarter, including persons who lobby on behalf of their employer or employers, and the lobbying activity represents less than the equivalent of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) of the employee’s time per calendar year quarter, based on an hourly proration of said employee’s compensation.
(4) Members of a trade association who are acting on behalf of and at the request of the trade association, if such association has registered as a lobbyist pursuant to this chapter, and if any expenditures are reported by the association pursuant to section 67-6619, Idaho Code.
(5) Elected state officers and state executive officers appointed by the governor subject to confirmation by the senate; elected officials of political subdivisions of the state of Idaho, acting in their official capacity.
(6) A person who represents a bona fide church (of which he is a member) solely for the purpose of protecting the constitutional right to the free exercise of religion.
(7) (a) Employees of a corporate entity, if such corporate entity:
(i) Has registered as a lobbyist pursuant to this chapter;
(ii) Has appointed one (1) or more of its employees or contractors as its official designated lobbyist; and
(iii) The person so appointed by the corporate entity has completed the designated lobbyist registration.
(b) The corporate entity shall, through its designated lobbyist, fully and accurately report all expenditures made by employees who are exempt hereunder, in the manner and at the times required by section 67-6618, Idaho Code, and, in addition thereto, shall report the names of all employees who make expenditures in the aggregate sum of fifty dollars ($50.00) or more during any calendar year on behalf of the corporate entity’s lobbying activities.
[67-6618, added Init. Measure 1974, No. 1, sec. 18; am. 1976, ch. 362, sec. 1, p. 1194; am. 1998, ch. 242, sec. 1, p. 801; am. 2006, ch. 106, sec. 3, p. 298; am. 2019, ch. 290, sec. 4, p. 854.]