GENERAL CODE PROVISIONS
FREE EXERCISE OF RELIGION PROTECTED
73-401. Definitions. As used in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Demonstrates" means meets the burdens of going forward with evidence, and persuasion under the standard of clear and convincing evidence.
(2) "Exercise of religion" means the ability to act or refusal to act in a manner substantially motivated by a religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief.
(3) "Government" includes this state and any agency or political subdivision of this state.
(4) "Political subdivision" includes any county, city, school district, taxing district, municipal corporation, or agency of a county, city, school district, or municipal corporation.
(5) "Substantially burden" means to inhibit or curtail religiously motivated practices.
[73-401, added 2000, ch. 133, sec. 2, p. 352.]