PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
MORTICIANS, FUNERAL DIRECTORS AND EMBALMERS
54-1132. Certificate of authority — Requirements — Display of certificate. (1) Effective July 1, 2021, no licensed funeral establishment may sell a prepaid contract or provide funeral or cemetery merchandise or funeral or cemetery services pursuant to a prepaid contract without first obtaining a valid certificate of authority. The holder of the funeral establishment license shall be responsible for the certificate of authority and any agent of the establishment who operates under the certificate of authority.
(2) A certificate of authority for public cemeteries shall be issued by the governing board, city council or board of county commissioners having overall supervision and control of the cemetery. A certificate of authority for privately owned cemeteries shall be issued by the Idaho board of cemeterians. A certificate of authority for funeral establishments licensed under chapter 11, title 54, Idaho Code, shall be issued by the state board of morticians and shall be renewed annually at the same time as the funeral establishment license is renewed.
(3) A licensed funeral establishment seeking to obtain a certificate of authority must submit a statement that includes the following:
(a) The types of prepaid contracts to be written;
(b) The name and address of the place of business of the licensed funeral establishment; and
(c) Any information deemed necessary by the certificating authority to show compliance with section 54-1116, Idaho Code.
(4) Upon issuance, the certificate of authority shall be posted conspicuously in the licensed funeral establishment.
(5) The agent of any licensed funeral establishment holding a certificate shall present a copy of the certificate to the purchaser before engaging in the activity of selling a prearrangement sales contract.
(6) A licensed mortician or licensed funeral director shall designate the licensed funeral establishment that shall be responsible to provide any funeral or cemetery merchandise or funeral or cemetery services under prearrangement sales.
(7) The licensed funeral establishment designated as responsible to provide the merchandise and services under a prearrangement sales contract shall maintain all contracts and documents associated with any prearrangement sales.
[54-1132, added 1989, ch. 138, sec. 2, p. 313; am. 2003, ch. 257, sec. 18, p. 677; am. 2016, ch. 80, sec. 1, p. 259; am. 2020, ch. 257, sec. 11, p. 750.]