Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


15-5-209.  Powers and duties of guardian of minor. A guardian of a minor has the powers and responsibilities of a parent who has not been deprived of custody of his minor and unemancipated child, except that a guardian is not legally obligated to provide from his own funds for the ward and is not liable to third persons by reason of the parental relationship for acts of the ward. In particular, and without qualifying the foregoing, a guardian has the following powers and duties:
(1)  He must take reasonable care of his ward’s personal effects and commence protective proceedings if necessary to protect other property of the ward.
(2)  He may receive money payable for the support of the ward to the ward’s parent, guardian or custodian under the terms of any statutory benefit or insurance system, or any private contract, devise, trust, conservatorship or custodianship. He also may receive money or property of the ward paid or delivered by virtue of section 15-5-103, Idaho Code. Any sums so received shall be applied to the ward’s current needs for support, care and education. He must exercise due care to conserve any excess for the ward’s future needs unless a conservator has been appointed for the estate of the ward, in which case the excess shall be paid over at least annually to the conservator. Sums so received by the guardian are not to be used for compensation for his services except as approved by order of the court or as determined by a duly appointed conservator other than the guardian. A guardian may institute proceedings to compel the performance by any person of a duty to support the ward or to pay sums for the welfare of the ward.
(3)  The guardian is empowered to facilitate the ward’s education, social, or other activities and to authorize medical or other professional care, treatment, or advice. A guardian is not liable by reason of this consent for injury to the ward resulting from the negligence or acts of third persons unless it would have been illegal for a parent to have consented. A guardian may consent to the marriage or adoption of his ward.
(4)  A guardian shall report to the court at least annually on the status of the ward and the ward’s estate which has been subject to his possession or control. All reports shall be under oath or affirmation and shall comply with the Idaho supreme court rules.

[15-5-209, added 1971, ch. 111, sec. 1, p. 233; am. 2014, ch. 164, sec. 1, p. 460.]

How current is this law?