CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
FALSE PRETENSES, CHEATS AND MISREPRESENTATIONS
18-3122. Definitions. The following words and phrases used in this chapter mean:
(1) "Authorized credit card merchant" means a person or organization who is authorized by an issuer to furnish money, goods, services or anything of value upon presentation of a financial transaction card or a financial transaction card account number by a card holder, and to present valid credit card sales drafts to the issuer for payment.
(2) "Automated banking device" means any machine which, when properly activated by a financial transaction card and/or a personal identification code, may be used for any of the purposes for which a financial transaction card may be used.
(3) "Card holder" means any person or organization named on the face of a financial transaction card to whom, or for whose benefit, a financial transaction card is issued by an issuer.
(4) "Credit card sales draft" means:
(a) Any sales slip, draft, voucher or other written or electronic record of a sale of goods, services or anything else of value made or purported to be made to or at the request of a card holder with a financial transaction card, financial transaction card account number or personal identification code; or
(b) Any evidence, however manifested, of any right or purported right to collect from a card holder funds due or purported to be due with respect to any sale or purported sale.
(5) "Expired financial transaction card" means any financial transaction card which is no longer valid because the terms agreed to have been cancelled or have elapsed.
(6) "Financial transaction card" or "FTC" means any instrument or device known as a credit card, credit plate, bank services card, banking card, check guarantee card, debit card, telephone credit card or by any other name issued by the issuer for the use of the card holder in obtaining money, goods, services, or anything else of value on credit, or in certifying or guaranteeing to a person or business the availability to the card holder of the funds on deposit that are equal to or greater than the amount necessary to honor a draft or check payable to the order of such a person or business; or any instrument or device used in providing the card holder access to a demand deposit account or a time deposit account for the purpose of making deposits of money or checks therein, or withdrawing funds in the form of money, money orders, or traveler’s checks or other representative of value therefrom or transferring funds from any demand account or time deposit account to any credit card account in full or partial satisfaction of any outstanding balance existing therein.
(7) "Financial transaction card account number" means the account number assigned by an issuer to a financial transaction card to identify and account for transactions involving that financial transaction card.
(8) "Issuer" means a business organization or financial institution or its duly authorized agent which issues a financial transaction card.
(9) "Personal identification code" means any numerical and/or alphabetical code assigned to the card holder of a financial transaction card by the issuer to permit the authorized electronic use of that FTC.
(10) "Personal identifying information" means the name, address, telephone number, driver’s license number, social security number, place of employment, employee identification number, mother’s maiden name, checking account number, savings account number, financial transaction card number, or personal identification code of an individual person, or any other numbers or information which can be used to access a person’s financial resources.
(11) "Revoked financial transaction card" means an FTC which is no longer valid because permission to use it has been suspended or terminated by the issuer with actual notice having been made upon the card holder.
[18-3122, added 1981, ch. 164, sec. 1, p. 288; am. 1991, ch. 331, sec. 1, p. 856; am. 1999, ch. 124, sec. 1, p. 361; am. 2007, ch. 33, sec. 1, p. 74.]