STATE PRISON AND COUNTY JAILS
RESTRAINT OF PREGNANT PRISONERS
20-901. definitions. In this chapter:
(1) "Correctional institution" means any entity under the authority of any state, county or municipal law enforcement division that has the power to detain and/or restrain a person under the laws of this state.
(2) "Corrections official" means the official designated as responsible for oversight of a correctional institution, or his or her designee.
(3) "Extraordinary circumstance" means a substantial flight risk or some other extraordinary medical or security circumstance that dictates restraints be used to ensure the safety and security of the prisoner or detainee, the staff of the correctional institution or medical facility, other prisoners or detainees, or the public.
(4) "Labor" means the period of time before a birth during which contractions are of sufficient frequency, intensity and duration to bring about effacement and progressive dilation of the cervix.
(5) "Prisoner" means any person incarcerated or detained in any facility, including persons held under the immigration laws of the United States.
(6) "Restraints" means any physical restraint or mechanical device used to control the movement of a prisoner or detainee’s body and/or limbs.
[20-901, added 2011, ch. 223, sec. 1, p. 610.]