BANKS AND BANKING
IDAHO INTERSTATE BANKING ACT
26-2606. Requirements for acquisition. No person shall effect any of the transactions described in section 26-2605, Idaho Code, or make any public offer to do so unless it shall first have complied with the provisions of chapters 5 and 9, title 26, Idaho Code, and this section.
(1) An applicant must request authorization to engage in any of the transactions described in section 26-2605, Idaho Code, shall pay such application fee as the director may prescribe for such transactions and shall file with the director:
(a) An application in such form as the director may prescribe;
(b) Such other information as the director may require pursuant to any rule, or which he determines to be necessary to allow him to make the findings in the case of any specific transactions which are required in this section;
(c) Unless the applicant is an Idaho resident, a domestic corporation or a foreign corporation qualified to do business in this state, a written consent to service of process in any action or suit arising out of or in connection with said proposed action, said service to be on a resident of this state;
(d) A written undertaking on the part of the applicant to provide the director, if requested, the financial institution holding company examination records and any and all examination reports of such financial institution holding company subsidiaries as the director may designate.
(2) The director may, as a condition upon acceptance of an application as complete or upon approval of an application, require cooperation from the administrative regulator or regulators of the out-of-state financial institution holding company and its subsidiaries involved in the transaction.
(3) Within thirty (30) days of acceptance of the application as complete, the director shall act upon the application by approving or disapproving it and shall state in writing his findings of fact, conclusions and order. The director may approve an application subject to such terms and conditions as he may consider necessary to protect the public interest and carry out the purposes of this chapter. The director may not approve an application for a transaction in which the applicant is a foreign corporation which has not qualified to do business in this state under title 30, Idaho Code, and which is required to do so.
(4) The director shall disapprove any application filed under this section if he finds:
(a) That the proposed transaction would be detrimental to the safety and soundness of the applicant or to any Idaho financial institution or Idaho financial institution holding company which is a party to the proposed transaction or to a subsidiary or affiliate of that institution or holding company;
(b) The applicant, its executive officers, directors or principal shareholders do not have a record of sound performance, efficient management, financial responsibility and integrity such that it would be against the interest of the depositors, other customers, creditors or shareholders of an Idaho financial institution or an Idaho financial institution holding company, or against the public interest to authorize the proposed transaction;
(c) The financial condition of the applicant or any Idaho financial institution or Idaho financial institution holding company which is a party to or participant in the proposed transaction is such that the financial stability of such applicant or other institution or holding company might be jeopardized or the interests of depositors or other customers of such applicant or other institutions or holding companies might be prejudiced;
(d) The Idaho financial institution to be acquired has been chartered and actively engaged in business for less than five (5) years prior to the date of the application;
(e) The consummation of the proposed transaction will tend substantially to lessen competition within this state unless the director finds that the anticompetitive effects of the proposed transaction are clearly outweighed by the benefit of meeting the convenience and needs of the community to be served; or
(f) The applicant has not established a record of meeting the credit needs of the communities which it or its subsidiary financial institution(s) services.
(5) Subsection (4)(d) of this section shall not be construed as prohibiting either:
(a) The approval of the acquisition of any Idaho financial institution or Idaho financial institution holding company formed solely to facilitate the acquisition of all of the voting shares of an Idaho financial institution which itself has been chartered and actively engaged in business for five (5) years or more prior to the date of the application; or
(b) The acquisition of an Idaho financial institution holding company which has been in existence for less than five (5) years if each of the financial institutions controlled by the financial institution holding company have been chartered and actively engaged in business for five (5) years or more.
[26-2606, added 1985, ch. 185, sec. 1, p. 477; am. 1995, ch. 99, sec. 17, p. 319.]