BANKS AND BANKING
IDAHO RESIDENTIAL MORTGAGE PRACTICES ACT
PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATORS
26-31-303. definitions. For purposes of this part, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Depository institution" has the same meaning as in section 3 of the federal deposit insurance act, and includes any credit union.
(2) "Expungement" means, with respect to a record of criminal conviction entered in this state, that no one, including law enforcement, can be permitted access to the record even by court order. With respect to criminal convictions entered in another state, that state’s definition of expungement shall apply.
(3) "Federal banking agency" means the board of governors of the federal reserve system, the comptroller of the currency, the director of the office of thrift supervision, the national credit union administration and the federal deposit insurance corporation.
(4) "Immediate family member" means a spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent or grandchild, and includes stepparents, stepchildren, stepsiblings and adoptive relationships.
(5) "Individual" means a natural person.
(6) "Loan processor or underwriter" means an individual who performs clerical or support duties as an employee at the direction of and subject to the supervision and instruction of a person licensed, or exempt from licensing under this chapter.
(a) For the purposes of this subsection clerical or support duties may include, subsequent to the receipt of an application:
(i) The receipt, collection, distribution and analysis of information common for the processing or underwriting of a residential mortgage loan; and
(ii) Communicating with a consumer to obtain the information necessary for the processing or underwriting of a loan, to the extent that such communication does not include offering or negotiating loan rates or terms or counseling consumers about residential mortgage loan rates or terms.
(b) An individual engaging solely in loan processor or underwriter activities shall not represent to the public, through advertising or other means of communicating or providing information, including the use of business cards, stationery, brochures, signs, rate lists or other promotional items, that such individual can or will perform any of the activities of a mortgage loan originator.
(7) "Mortgage loan originator" means an individual who for compensation or gain or in the expectation of compensation or gain takes a residential mortgage loan application, or offers or negotiates terms of a residential mortgage loan.
(a) Mortgage loan originator does not mean the following:
(i) An individual engaged solely as a loan processor or underwriter except as otherwise provided in section 26-31-304(3), Idaho Code;
(ii) A person or entity that only performs real estate brokerage activity and is licensed or registered in accordance with Idaho law, unless the person or entity is compensated by a lender, a mortgage broker or other mortgage loan originator, or by any agent of such lender, mortgage broker or other mortgage loan originator;
(iii) A person or entity solely involved in extensions of credit relating to timeshare plans, as that term is defined in 11 U.S.C. section 101(53D); and
(iv) An individual who is an employee of a federal, state or local government agency or housing finance agency and who acts as a loan originator only pursuant to his or her official duties as an employee of the federal, state or local government agency or housing finance agency.
(b) For the purposes of this section, "real estate brokerage activity" means any activity that involves offering or providing real estate brokerage services to the public, including:
(i) Acting as a real estate agent or real estate broker for a buyer, seller, lessor or lessee of real property;
(ii) Bringing together parties interested in the sale, purchase, lease, rental or exchange of real property;
(iii) Negotiating, on behalf of any party, any portion of a contract relating to the sale, purchase, lease, rental or exchange of real property, other than in connection with providing financing with respect to any such transaction;
(iv) Engaging in any activity for which a person is required to be registered or licensed as a real estate agent or real estate broker under law; and
(v) Offering to engage in any activity, or act in any capacity, described in subparagraphs (i) through (iv) of this paragraph.
(8) "Nontraditional mortgage product" means any mortgage product other than a thirty (30) year fixed rate mortgage.
(9) "Registered mortgage loan originator" means any individual who is registered with, and maintains a unique identifier through the NMLSR, who meets the definition of mortgage loan originator and who is an employee of one (1) of the following:
(a) A depository institution;
(b) A subsidiary that is owned and controlled by a depository institution and regulated by a federal banking agency; or
(c) An institution regulated by the farm credit administration.
[26-31-303, added 2009, ch. 97, sec. 2, p. 296; am. 2013, ch. 64, sec. 13, p. 152.]