ARTISTS AND ART DEALERS
ARTIST AND ART DEALER
28-11-101. Definitions. As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Art dealer" means a person engaged in the business of selling works of fine art, other than a person exclusively engaged in the business of selling goods at public auction.
(2) "Artist" means a person who creates a work of fine art or, if the person is deceased, the person’s heir, devisee, or personal representative.
(3) "Consignment" means that no title to, estate in or right to possession of fine art superior to that of the consignor vests in the consignee, notwithstanding the consignee’s power or authority to transfer and convey to a third person all of the right, title and interest of the consignor in and to the fine art.
(4) "Fine art" means a painting, sculpture, drawing, work of graphic art, including an etching, lithograph, signed limited edition offset print, silk screen, or a work of graphic art of like nature; a work of calligraphy, photographs, original works in ceramics, wood, metals, glass, plastic, wax, stone or leather or a work in mixed media, including a collage, assemblage, or any combination of the art media mentioned in this subsection.
(5) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, or other group, however organized.
[28-11-101, added 1987, ch. 127, sec. 1, p. 257.]