GENERAL BUSINESS CORPORATIONS
AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION AND BYLAWS
30-29-1022. BYLAW PROVISIONS RELATING TO THE ELECTION OF DIRECTORS. (a) Unless the articles of incorporation specifically prohibit the adoption of a bylaw pursuant to this section, alter the vote specified in section 30-29-728(a), Idaho Code, or provide for cumulative voting, a corporation may elect in its bylaws to be governed in the election of directors as follows:
(1) Each vote entitled to be cast may be voted for or against up to that number of candidates that is equal to the number of directors to be elected, or a shareholder may indicate an abstention, but without cumulating the votes;
(2) To be elected, a nominee shall have received a plurality of the votes cast by holders of shares entitled to vote in the election at a meeting at which a quorum is present, provided that a nominee who is elected but receives more votes against than for election shall serve as a director for a term that shall terminate on the date that is the earlier of:
(i) Ninety (90) days from the date on which the voting results are determined pursuant to part 7 of this chapter; or
(ii) The date on which an individual is selected by the board of directors to fill the office held by such director, which selection shall be deemed to constitute the filling of a vacancy by the board to which section 30-29-810, Idaho Code, applies. Subject to paragraph (3) of this subsection, a nominee who is elected but receives more votes against than for election shall not serve as a director beyond the ninety (90) day period referenced above; and
(3) The board of directors may select any qualified individual to fill the office held by a director who received more votes against than for election.
(b) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to an election of directors by a voting group if at the expiration of the time fixed under a provision requiring advance notification of director candidates or absent such a provision, at a time fixed by the board of directors which is not more than fourteen (14) days before notice is given of the meeting at which the election is to occur, there are more candidates for election by the voting group than the number of directors to be elected, one (1) or more of whom are properly proposed by shareholders. An individual shall not be considered a candidate for purposes of this subsection if the board of directors determines before the notice of meeting is given that such individual’s candidacy does not create a bona fide election contest.
(c) A bylaw electing to be governed by this section may be repealed:
(1) If originally adopted by the shareholders, only by the shareholders, unless the bylaw otherwise provides; or
(2) If adopted by the board of directors, or the shareholders.
[30-29-1022, added 2019, ch. 90, sec. 124, p. 300.]