MANDATORY INCOME WITHHOLDING FOR CHILD SUPPORT
32-1202. Definitions. Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter:
(1) "Business day" means a day on which state offices are open for regular business.
(2) "Child support services" means support enforcement or collection and disbursement services.
(3) "Current support" means the present month’s required support pursuant to an order that is to be paid in increments, excluding amounts ordered to satisfy a delinquency.
(4) "Delinquency" means the amount of unpaid support that has accrued from the date a child support order is entered or an amount due on a judgment for support for a prior period.
(5) "Department" means the department of health and welfare.
(6) "Dependent child" means any child for whom a support order has been established or for whom a duty of support is owed.
(7) "Disposable earnings" means that part of the earnings of an individual remaining after the deduction from those earnings of any amount required by law to be withheld.
(8) "Duty of support" means the duty to provide for the needs of a dependent child, which may include the costs of necessary food, clothing, shelter, education, and health care including health insurance premiums for the child. The duty includes any obligation to make monetary payment, to pay expenses or to reimburse another person or an agency for the cost of necessary support furnished a dependent child. The duty may be imposed by court order, by operation of law, or otherwise.
(9) "Earnings" means compensation paid or payable for personal services, whether denominated as wages, salary, commission, bonus, or otherwise, and includes periodic payments pursuant to a pension or retirement program.
(10) "Employer" includes the United States government, a state or local unit of government, and any person or entity who pays or owes income to the obligor.
(11) "Income" means any form of periodic payment to an individual, regardless of source, including, but not limited to, wages, salary, bonus, commission, compensation for services rendered or goods sold, compensation as an independent contractor; and notwithstanding any other provision of law making the payments exempt from garnishment, attachment, or other process to satisfy support obligations, specifically includes periodic payments pursuant to pension and annuity or retirement programs, or disability or insurance policies of any type, with the following exceptions:
(a) Unemployment compensation payments made under chapter 13, title 72, Idaho Code, shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter, and shall only be withheld pursuant to the provisions of section 72-1365, Idaho Code, and chapter 12, title 7, Idaho Code;
(b) Worker’s compensation payments made under chapter 8, title 72, Idaho Code, shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter, and shall only be withheld pursuant to the provisions of section 72-802, Idaho Code, and chapter 12, title 7, Idaho Code;
(c) Public assistance payments made under title 56, Idaho Code, shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter.
(12) "Obligee" means any person, state agency or bureau entitled by order to receive child support payments or child and spousal support payments, or the person or agency to whom the right to receive or collect support has been assigned.
(13) "Obligor" means any person obligated by order to pay child or spousal support.
(14) "Spousal support" means a legally enforceable obligation assessed against an individual for the support of a spouse or former spouse who is living with a child or children for whom the individual also owes support.
(15) "Support order" means a judgment, decree, or order issued by a magistrate or district court of the state of Idaho creating a duty of support for a minor child, spouse or former spouse, as herein defined; or a judgment, decree, order or administrative ruling issued by a court or agency of competent jurisdiction in another state or country, creating a duty of support for a minor child, spouse or former spouse, as herein defined, which has been registered or otherwise made enforceable in this state.
[32-1202, added 1986, ch. 222, sec. 1, p. 594; am. 1993, ch. 335, sec. 1, p. 1244; am. 1993, ch. 335, sec. 8, p. 1255; am. 1994, ch. 308, sec. 4, p. 967; am. 1998, ch. 292, sec. 7, p. 936.]