PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICTS
33-2707. Addition of territory not having a tax supported library to a library district — Petitions and signatures — Election. (1) Any area which does not have a tax supported library and which is contiguous to an existing library district may become a part of the district by petition and election.
(2) A petition may arise as set forth in section 33-2704, Idaho Code, in the area seeking to become a part of the library district. A true copy of the petition shall be transmitted to the board of trustees of the district, and to the board of county commissioners in each county affected. The board of trustees of the library district may approve or disapprove the petition, and shall give notice of its decision to the board of county commissioners in each county affected.
(3) When the notice carries the approval of the board of trustees of the district, the board of county commissioners in the county in which the petition arose shall enter its order calling for an election on the question. The election shall be held in the area described in the petition. Notice of the election shall be given, the election shall be conducted on the next uniform election date as provided in section 34-106, Idaho Code, and the returns thereof canvassed as provided in section 33-2705, Idaho Code. The ballot shall bear the question: "Shall …. become a part of the …. (Name) Library District …. Yes" and "Shall …. become a part of the …. (Name) Library District …. No," each followed by a box in which the voter may express his choice by marking a cross "X." The proposal shall be deemed approved only if the majority of the votes cast in the area seeking to become a part thereof is in the affirmative.
(4) If the proposal has been approved by the majority herein required, the board of county commissioners of the home county of the district shall enter its order amending the boundaries of the district, including a map prepared in a draftsmanlike manner. A copy of this order shall be transmitted to the board of trustees of the library district, to each board of county commissioners of the county in which the district lies, and to the board of library commissioners.
(5) The board of trustees of the library shall transmit a certified copy of this order to the county recorder, the county assessor of the home county and to the state tax commission in a timely manner, but no later than December 15, in the calendar year in which the election was held.
(6) Addition of new territory to an existing library district shall not be considered an initial establishment. The existing board of trustees shall continue to serve for the terms for which elected. When a vacancy occurs appointment shall be made as provided in section 33-2716, Idaho Code.
[33-2707, added 1963, ch. 188, sec. 7, p. 568; am. 1990, ch. 378, sec. 4, p. 1048; am. 1995, ch. 119, sec. 5, p. 516; am. 1996, ch. 71, sec. 8, p. 221; am. 2006, ch. 235, sec. 21, p. 711.]