COLLEGE SAVINGS PROGRAM
33-5401. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following terms have the following meanings unless the context clearly denotes otherwise:
(1) "Account" means an individual trust account or savings account established as prescribed in this chapter.
(2) "Account owner" means the person or state or local government organization designated in the agreement governing the account as having the right to withdraw moneys from the account before the account is disbursed to or for the benefit of the designated beneficiary.
(3) "Board" means the state college savings program board created in section 33-5402, Idaho Code.
(4) "Designated beneficiary," except as provided in section 33-5404, Idaho Code, means, with respect to an account, the individual designated at the time the account is opened as the individual whose higher education expenses are expected to be paid from the account or, if this designated beneficiary is replaced in accordance with section 33-5404, Idaho Code, the replacement beneficiary.
(5) "Eligible educational institution" shall have the meaning provided in 26 U.S.C. section 529.
(6) "Financial institution" means any state bank, national bank, savings bank, savings and loan association, credit union, insurance company, brokerage firm, trust company, mutual fund, investment firm or other similar entity that is authorized to do business in this state.
(7) "Member of the family" shall have the meaning as provided in 26 U.S.C. section 529.
(8) "Nonqualified withdrawal" means an account withdrawal that is not one (1) of the following:
(a) A qualified withdrawal;
(b) A withdrawal made as the result of the death or disability of the designated beneficiary of an account;
(c) A withdrawal that is made on account of a scholarship as defined in 26 U.S.C. section 117 or an educational allowance as defined in 26 U.S.C. section 25A(g)(2);
(d) A rollover or change of the designated beneficiary.
(9) "Person" means an individual, a trust, an estate, a partnership, an association, a foundation, a guardianship, a corporation, or a custodian under the Idaho uniform transfers to minors act.
(10) "Program" means one (1) or more college savings programs established under this chapter.
(11) "Qualified higher education expenses" shall have the meaning provided in 26 U.S.C. section 529.
(12) "Qualified withdrawal" means a withdrawal from an account to pay the qualified higher education expenses of the designated beneficiary of the account, but only if the withdrawal is made in accordance with this chapter.
[33-5401, added 2000, ch. 213, sec. 1, p. 573; am. 2002, ch. 50, sec. 1, p. 113; am. 2003, ch. 5, sec. 1, p. 10; am. 2008, ch. 275, sec. 1, p. 783; am. 2013, ch. 110, sec. 1, p. 260; am. 2018, ch. 46, sec. 7, p. 117.]