FOOD, DRUGS, AND OIL
UNIFORM CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
37-2747. Education and research. (a) The director or his authorized agent shall carry out educational programs designed to prevent and deter misuse and abuse of controlled substances. In connection with these programs he may:
(1) Promote better recognition of the problems of misuse and abuse of controlled substances within the regulated industry and among interested groups and organizations;
(2) Assist the regulated industry and interested groups and organizations in contributing to the reduction of misuse and abuse of controlled substances;
(3) Consult with interested groups and organizations to aid them in solving administrative and organizational problems;
(4) Evaluate procedures, projects, techniques, and controls conducted or proposed as part of educational programs on misuse and abuse of controlled substances;
(5) Disseminate the results of research on misuse and abuse of controlled substances to promote a better public understanding of what problems exist and what can be done to combat them; and
(6) Assist in the education and training of state and local law enforcement officials in their efforts to control misuse and abuse of controlled substances.
(b) The director shall encourage research on misuse and abuse of controlled substances. In connection with the research, and in furtherance of the enforcement of this act, he may:
(1) Establish methods to assess accurately the effects of controlled substances and identify and characterize those with potential for abuse;
(2) Make studies and undertake programs of research to:
(A) Develop new or improved approaches, techniques, systems, equipment and devices to strengthen the enforcement of this act;
(B) Determine patterns of misuse and abuse of controlled substances and the social effects thereof; and
(C) Improve methods for preventing, predicting, understanding and dealing with the misuse and abuse of controlled substances; and
(3) Enter into contracts with public agencies, institutions of higher education, and private organizations or individuals for the purpose of conducting research, demonstrations, or special projects which bear directly on misuse and abuse of controlled substances.
(c) The director may enter into contracts for educational and research activities without performance bonds.
(d) The director may authorize persons engaged in research on the use and effects of controlled substances to withhold the names and other identifying characteristics of individuals who are the subjects of the research. Persons who obtain this authorization are not compelled in any civil, criminal, administrative, legislative, or other proceeding to identify the individuals who are the subjects of research for which the authorization was obtained.
(e) The director may authorize the possession and distribution of controlled substances by persons lawfully engaged in education and research. Persons who obtain this authorization are exempt from state prosecution for possession and distribution of controlled substances to the extent of the authorization.
[I.C., sec. 37-2747, as added by 1971, ch. 215, sec. 1, p. 939; am. 1972, ch. 133, sec. 13, p. 261; am. 1974, ch. 27, sec. 83, p. 811.]