HEALTH AND SAFETY
CLEAN INDOOR AIR
39-5502. Definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Auditorium" means a public building where an audience sits and any corridors, hallways or lobbies adjacent thereto.
(2) "Bar" means any indoor area open to the public operated primarily for the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and where: (a) the service of food is incidental to the consumption of such beverages, or (b) no person under the age of twenty-one (21) years is permitted except as provided in section 23-943, Idaho Code, as it pertains to employees, musicians and singers, and all public entrances are clearly posted with signs warning patrons that it is a smoking facility and that persons under twenty-one (21) years of age are not permitted. "Bar" does not include any area within a restaurant.
(3) "Employer" means any person, partnership, limited liability company, association, corporation or nonprofit entity that employs one (1) or more persons, including the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state government; any county, city, or any other political subdivision of the state; or any other separate unit of state or local government.
(4) "Indoor shopping mall" means an indoor facility located at least fifty (50) feet from any public street or highway and housing no less than ten (10) retail establishments.
(5) "Public meeting" means all meetings open to the public.
(6) "Public place" means any enclosed indoor place of business, commerce, banking, financial service or other service-related activity, whether publicly or privately owned and whether operated for profit or not, to which persons not employed at the public place have general and regular access or which the public uses including:
(a) Buildings, offices, shops or restrooms;
(b) Waiting rooms for means of transportation or common carriers;
(d) Theaters, auditoriums, museums or art galleries;
(e) Hospitals, libraries, indoor shopping malls, indoor sports arenas, concert halls, or airport passenger terminals, and within twenty (20) feet of public entrances and exits to such facilities;
(f) Public or private elementary or secondary school buildings and educational facilities and within twenty (20) feet of entrances and exits of such buildings or facilities;
(g) Retail stores, grocery stores or arcades;
(h) Barbershops, hair salons or laundromats;
(i) Sports or fitness facilities;
(j) Common areas of nursing homes, resorts, hotels, motels, bed and breakfast lodging facilities and other similar lodging facilities, including lobbies, hallways, restaurants and other designated dining areas and restrooms of any of these;
(k) Any child care facility subject to licensure under the laws of Idaho, including those operated in private homes, when any child cared for under that license is present;
(l) Public means of mass transportation including vans, trains, taxicabs and limousines when passengers are present; and
(m) Any public place not exempted by section 39-5503, Idaho Code.
(7) "Publicly-owned building or office" means any enclosed indoor place or portion of a place owned, leased or rented by any state, county or municipal government, or by any agency supported by appropriation of, or by contracts or grants from, funds derived from the collection of federal, state, municipal or county taxes.
(8) "Restaurant" means an eating establishment including, but not limited to, coffee shops, cafes, cafeterias, and private and public school cafeterias, which gives or offers for sale food to the public, guests, or employees, as well as kitchens and catering facilities in which food is prepared on the premises for serving elsewhere. The term "restaurant" shall include a bar area within a restaurant.
(9) "Smoking" includes the possession of any lighted tobacco product in any form.
(10) "Smoking area" means a designated area in which smoking is permitted.
[39-5502, added 1985, ch. 60, sec. 1, p. 120; am. 2004, ch. 389, sec. 2, p. 1167.]