Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


41-1005.  Exceptions to licensing. (1) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to require an insurer to obtain an insurance producer license. In this section, the term "insurer" does not include an insurer’s officers, directors, employees, subsidiaries or affiliates.
(2)  A license as an insurance producer shall not be required of the following:
(a)  An officer, director or employee of an insurer or of an insurance producer, provided that the officer, director or employee does not receive any commission on policies written or sold to insure risks residing, located or to be performed in this state and:
(i)   The activities of the officer, director or employee are executive, administrative, managerial, clerical or a combination of these, and are only indirectly related to the sale, solicitation or negotiation of insurance; or
(ii)  The function of the officer, director or employee relates to underwriting, loss control, inspection or the processing, adjusting, investigating or settling of a claim on a contract of insurance; or
(iii) The officer, director or employee is acting in the capacity of a special agent or agency supervisor assisting insurance producers where the person’s activities are limited to providing technical advice and assistance to licensed insurance producers and do not include the sale, solicitation or negotiation of insurance;
(b)  A person who secures and furnishes information for the purpose of group life insurance, group property and casualty insurance, group annuities, group or blanket accident and health insurance, or for the purpose of enrolling individuals under plans, issuing certificates under plans or otherwise assisting in administering plans, or performs administrative services relating to mass-marketed property and casualty insurance, and who does not receive a commission;
(c)  An employer or association or its officers, directors, employees or the trustees of an employee trust plan, to the extent that the employer, association, officer, employee, director or trustee is engaged in the administration or operation of a program of employee benefits for the employer’s or association’s own employees or the employees of its subsidiaries or affiliates, which involves the use of insurance issued by an insurer, as long as the employer, association, officer, director, employee or trustee is not in any manner compensated, directly or indirectly, by the company issuing the contracts;
(d)  Employees of insurers or organizations employed by insurers who are engaging in the inspection, rating or classification of risks, or in the supervision of the training of insurance producers, and who are not individually engaged in the sale, solicitation or negotiation of insurance, and who do not receive a commission;
(e)  A person whose activities in this state are limited to advertising without the intent to solicit insurance in this state through communications in printed publications or other forms of electronic mass media whose distribution is not limited to residents of the state, provided that the person does not sell, solicit or negotiate insurance that would insure risks residing, located or to be performed in this state;
(f)  A person who is not a resident of this state who sells, solicits or negotiates a contract of insurance for commercial property and casualty risks to an insured with risks located in more than one (1) state insured under that contract, provided that the person is otherwise licensed as an insurance producer to sell, solicit or negotiate that insurance in the state where the insured maintains its principal place of business and the contract of insurance insures risks located in that state;
(g)  A salaried full-time employee who counsels or advises his or her employer relative to the insurance interests of the employer or of the subsidiaries or business affiliates of the employer, provided that the employee does not sell or solicit insurance or receive a commission; or
(h)  A person who, concurrent with the rental of a motor vehicle, provides contract options to the standard rental agreement which provides auto and travel related coverages through authorized insurers during a rental period not to exceed ninety (90) days.

[41-1005, added 2001, ch. 296, sec. 3, p. 1048.]

How current is this law?