PETROLEUM CLEAN WATER TRUST FUND ACT
41-4938. Liquidation of trust fund. (1) The annual tank application fees and transfer fees are perpetually appropriated as dedicated funds for the purposes of this chapter, and the trust fund shall remain in existence as long as the need exists for the trust fund to insure the costs of corrective actions and the need exists for the trust fund to insure the legal liability of petroleum tank owners and operators as provided in this chapter.
(2) In the event other more appropriate means come into existence to provide the insurance provided by the trust fund, then the trust fund shall be liquidated according to the provisions of this section.
(3) Liquidation shall be conducted by the board under a written plan of liquidation filed with and approved by the director. If the director finds the plan to be fair and equitable to all persons having a pecuniary interest in the trust fund, he shall approve it. Any balance remaining after payment or adequate provision for payment of all claims and charges against the trust fund has been made shall be disposed of in the manner provided for in the plan of liquidation. Unless under the plan of liquidation the liability for all unpaid claims and obligations of the trust fund has been assumed by another financially responsible person or persons, the existence of surplus funds for such disposition shall not be determined prior to the expiration of two (2) years after termination of the certificate of registration issued to the trust fund as provided in section 41-4930(2), Idaho Code.
(4) After its approval by the director, the plan of liquidation for the trust fund shall be binding upon all persons pecuniarily interested in the trust fund. Pending the effectuation of the plan of liquidation the director may impose such prohibitions or restrictions upon disbursement or use of trust fund moneys as the director deems advisable for the protection of all interested persons.
(5) If the trust fund is then insolvent and a plan of liquidation thereof satisfactory to the director as being fair and equitable is not filed within sixty (60) days after the effective date of termination of the plan’s registration, or if liquidation of a solvent trust fund is not being carried out in accordance with the plan of liquidation theretofore approved by the director, the director shall liquidate the trust fund under the applicable provisions of chapter 33, title 41, Idaho Code, and for this purpose the trust fund shall be deemed to be an insolvent domestic insurer.
(6) If after all indebtedness and other obligations of the trust fund are discharged to the satisfaction of the director and the trust fund is dissolved, its remaining assets, if any, shall inure to the benefit of the state.
[(41-4938) 41-4941, added 1990, ch. 119, sec. 1, p. 287; am. 1991, ch. 59, sec. 27, p. 135; am. & redesig. 2003, ch. 96, sec. 42, p. 306.]