IDAHO INDIVIDUAL HIGH RISK REINSURANCE POOL
41-5505. Reinsurance. (1) Any individual carrier issuing a health benefit plan shall be liable to the pool for the reinsurance premium and shall be reinsured by the pool for each eligible individual ceded in accordance with section 41-5509, Idaho Code, and the plan of operation.
(2) The pool shall reimburse a reinsuring carrier with respect to the claims of a ceded eligible individual incurred during the calendar year and paid by the reinsuring carrier for benefits covered by the health benefit plan, in accordance with the reinsurance parameters set forth in the plan of operation.
(a) The board may annually adjust the reinsurance parameters by submitting an amendment to the plan of operation in accordance with section 41-5503(1), Idaho Code. The adjustments may reflect increases in costs and utilization within the individual market for health benefit plans but must consider the availability of pool funding and the stability of the individual health insurance market, as well as any objectives stated in the plan of operation.
(b) The board shall not submit for approval by the director a plan of operation or an amendment thereto with an initial level of less than twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) or a reinsuring carrier coinsurance percentage of less than twenty percent (20%).
(3) A reinsuring carrier shall apply all managed care and claims handling techniques, including utilization review, individual case management, preferred provider provisions, and other managed care provisions or methods of operation consistently with respect to reinsured and nonreinsured business.
(4) Each carrier shall make a filing with the director containing the carrier’s earned health insurance premium derived from health benefit plans delivered or issued for delivery in this state in the previous calendar year.
(5) Each carrier shall file with the director, in a form and manner to be prescribed by the director, an annual report. The report shall state the number of resident persons insured under the carrier’s health benefit plan, or through excess or stop loss coverage.
(6) Carriers shall permit individuals and their dependents covered by a high risk pool plan to remain on the high risk pool plan as long as the individual continues to meet the conditions of section 41-5501(6)(a), Idaho Code.
[41-5505, added 2000, ch. 472, sec. 17, p. 1637; am. 2003, ch. 267, sec. 4, p. 717; am. 2005, ch. 353, sec. 5, p. 1119; am. 2017, ch. 281, sec. 4, p. 737.]