IDAHO VIDEO SERVICE ACT
50-3002. definitions. As used in this chapter:
(1) "Access to video service" means the capability of a video service provider to provide video service at a household address irrespective of whether a subscriber has ordered the service or whether the service is actually provided at the address.
(2) "Cable service" has the meaning ascribed to it in 47 U.S.C. section 522, as that section existed on January 1, 2012.
(3) "Cable system" has the meaning ascribed to it in 47 U.S.C. section 522, as that section existed on January 1, 2012.
(4) "Certificate of franchise authority" means a certificate issued by the Idaho secretary of state to a video service provider pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(6) "Franchise" has the meaning ascribed to it in 47 U.S.C. section 522, as that section existed on January 1, 2012. A certificate of franchise authority issued pursuant to section 50-3003, Idaho Code, shall constitute a franchise for the purposes of 47 U.S.C. section 522.
(7) "Franchising entity" means the state of Idaho or a city or county within the state of Idaho authorized by state or federal law to grant a franchise.
(8) "Governing body" means the city council or the board of county commissioners of a political subdivision.
(9) "Incumbent cable service provider" means a person who provides cable service and holds a franchise issued by a franchising entity prior to July 1, 2012.
(10) "Local unit of government" means a city, county, highway district or other governmental entity of the state of Idaho having maintenance and operation responsibility over the public rights-of-way within a geographical area for which a franchise or certificate of franchise authority has been issued by a franchising entity.
(11) "Nonincumbent video service provider" means:
(a) A person authorized under the provisions of this chapter to provide video service in an area in which cable service is being provided by an incumbent cable service provider; or
(b) A person authorized under the provisions of this chapter to provide video service in a geographical area in which, on July 1, 2012, there was no incumbent cable service provider providing cable service.
(12) "Political subdivision" means a city or county of the state of Idaho.
(13) "Public rights-of-way" means the area on, below or above a public roadway, highway, street, public sidewalk, alley, waterway or utility easement dedicated for compatible uses.
(14) "Service area" means contiguous geographical territory in the state of Idaho within which territory a video service provider is authorized to provide video service pursuant to a certificate of franchise authority.
(15) "Service tier" means a category of video service provided by a video service provider to a subscriber and for which a separate rate is charged by the video service provider.
(16) "Subscriber" means any person in this state who purchases video service. "Subscriber" does not include any person who purchases video service for resale and who, upon resale, is required to pay a video service provider fee pursuant to this chapter or pursuant to the terms of a local franchise.
(17) "System operator" means any person or group of persons who provide video service and directly, or through one (1) or more affiliates, own a significant interest in the system or facilities through which the video service is provided and which person has been issued a certificate of franchise authority pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(18) "Video service" means the delivery of video programming to subscribers, which programming is generally considered comparable to video programming delivered to viewers by a television broadcast station, cable service or digital television service, without regard to the technology used to deliver the video service, and which service is provided primarily through equipment or facilities located in whole or in part in, on, under or over any public rights-of-way. The term includes cable service, but excludes any video programming provided to persons in their capacity as subscribers to commercial mobile service as defined in 47 U.S.C. section 332(d), or video programming provided as part of and via a service that enables end users to access content, information, electronic mail or other services offered over the public internet.
(19) "Video service provider" means a provider of video service, and includes an incumbent cable or multichannel video service provider, a nonincumbent video service provider or a system operator, unless the context in which the term is used indicates otherwise.
(20) "Video service provider fee" means the amount paid by a system operator to a political subdivision pursuant to section 50-3007, Idaho Code.
[50-3002, added 2012, ch. 207, sec. 1, p. 552.]