PROFESSIONS, VOCATIONS, AND BUSINESSES
COUNSELORS AND THERAPISTS
54-3403. Board — Organization and meetings. There is hereby created in the division of occupational and professional licenses an Idaho state licensing board of professional counselors and marriage and family therapists as follows:
(1) The board shall consist of six (6) members, residents of the state of Idaho, who shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the governor. In making appointments, the governor shall give consideration to recommendations submitted by the Idaho counseling association in consultation with other state counselor organizations, the Idaho association for marriage and family therapy in consultation with other state marriage and family therapy organizations, and any individual residing in this state.
(2) When the term of each member ends, the governor shall appoint the successor for a term of four (4) years from qualified candidates. Any vacancy occurring on the board shall be filled by the governor by appointment for the unexpired term.
(3) At all times, the board shall have two (2) members who are licensed as clinical professional counselors or professional counselors and who are engaged primarily in rendering counseling service; one (1) member who is engaged or has been engaged primarily in teaching, training or research in higher education in counseling or marriage and family therapy; one (1) member who is licensed or is eligible for licensure as both a professional counselor and a marriage and family therapist and who is engaged primarily in rendering marriage and family therapy or marriage and family counseling; one (1) member who is licensed as a marriage and family therapist and who is engaged primarily in rendering marriage and family therapy; and one (1) member from the general public with an interest in the rights of consumers of counseling and therapy services. Except for the initial appointment, all members of the board except the member from the general public shall be licensed under this chapter.
(4) No board member shall serve more than two (2) full consecutive terms.
(5) The members of the board shall be compensated as provided in section 59-509(m), Idaho Code.
(6) The board shall annually hold a meeting and elect a chairman and vice chairman from among its members. The board shall meet at such other times as deemed necessary and advisable by the chairman, or by a majority of its members, or by the governor. Notice of all meetings shall be given in the manner prescribed by law. A majority of the board shall constitute a quorum at any meeting or hearing.
[54-3403, added 1982, ch. 183, sec. 1, p. 481; am. 1996, ch. 66, sec. 9, p. 208; am. 2001, ch. 71, sec. 4, p. 145; am. 2012, ch. 68, sec. 4, p. 194; am. 2016, ch. 340, sec. 38, p. 957; am. 2021, ch. 222, sec. 30, p. 644.]