PUBLIC OFFICERS IN GENERAL
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT SYSTEM
59-1356. Reemployment of retired members. (1) If an early retired member is reemployed with the same employer within ninety (90) days from retiring, or the early retired member is guaranteed reemployment with the same employer, the member shall be considered to have continued in the status of an employee and not to have separated from service. Any retirement allowance payments received by the retired member shall be repaid to the system and the retirement shall be negated. The month of last contribution prior to the negated retirement and the month of initial contribution upon return to reemployment shall be considered consecutive months of contributions in the determination of an appropriate salary base period upon subsequent retirement. A retired member is not considered to have separated from service if he continues performing services for the same employer in any capacity including, but not limited to, independent contractor, leased employee, or temporary services.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, when a retired member meets the definition of an employee as defined in section 59-1302(14)(A)(a), Idaho Code, any benefit payable on behalf of such member shall be suspended and any contributions payable by such member under sections 59-1331 through 59-1334, Idaho Code, shall again commence. The suspended benefit, as adjusted pursuant to section 59-1355, Idaho Code, shall resume upon subsequent retirement, along with a separate allowance computed with respect to only that salary and service credited during the period of reemployment. Any death benefit that becomes payable under the suspended benefit shall be payable under section 59-1361(2), Idaho Code. Any death benefit that becomes payable with respect to salary and service accrued during the period of reemployment shall be payable under section 59-1361(3), Idaho Code, if the member dies during the period of reemployment.
(3) If a retired member who is receiving a benefit that is not reduced under section 59-1346, Idaho Code, and who has been retired for more than six (6) months, again becomes employed as defined in this section and section 59-1302(14)(A)(b), Idaho Code, as a result of being elected to a public office other than an office held prior to retirement, the retired member may elect to continue receiving benefits and not accrue additional service, in which event no contributions shall be made by the member or employer during such reemployment and any benefit payable on behalf of such member shall continue.
(4) If a retired schoolteacher, person qualified to drive school buses, or administrator who retired on or after age sixty (60) years, or a public safety officer who retired, and is receiving a benefit that is not reduced under section 59-1346, Idaho Code, again becomes an employee as defined in this section and section 59-1302(14), Idaho Code, as a result of returning to employment with a school district as provided in section 33-1004H, Idaho Code, the retired member may elect to continue receiving benefits and not accrue additional service, in which event no contributions shall be made by the member during such reemployment and any benefit payable on behalf of such member shall continue. However, the school district shall pay the required employer contribution for that employee to the public employee retirement system.
(5) It is the responsibility of each employer to immediately report to the retirement board the employment of any retired member so that benefit payments can be suspended as provided in this section. If an employer fails to properly report the employment of a retired member and it results in the retirement board making benefit payments that should have been suspended, the employer shall, in addition to paying delinquent employee and employer contributions from the date of eligibility, also be responsible for repaying to the retirement board the benefit payments made to the retired member that should have been suspended, plus interest. The employer may then recoup such payments from the retired member.
(6) For purposes of this section, "same employer" means the employer for which the retired member last worked prior to retirement.
[(59-1356) 59-1318, added 1963, ch. 349, Art. 5, sec. 8, p. 988; am. 1969, ch. 283, sec. 7, p. 856; am. 1974, ch. 57, sec. 9, p. 1118; am. 1981, ch. 10, sec. 7, p. 19; am. and redesig. 1990, ch. 231, sec. 44, p. 639; am. 1996, ch. 243, sec. 1, p. 773; am. 1999, ch. 198, sec. 5, p. 518; am. 2006, ch. 151, sec. 1, p. 466; am. 2006, ch. 185, sec. 1, p. 585; am. 2007, ch. 44, sec. 3, p. 111; am. 2007, ch. 45, sec. 1, p. 114; am. 2007, ch. 131, sec. 2, p. 388; am. 2008, ch. 27, sec. 16, p. 54; am. 2012, ch. 169, sec. 2, p. 449; am. 2017, ch. 80, sec. 1, p. 223; am. 2019, ch. 202, sec. 1, p. 620; am. 2021, ch. 204, sec. 2, p. 555.]