Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


61-705.  Summary proceedings by commission. Whenever the commission shall be of the opinion that any public utility is failing or omitting or about to fail or omit, to do anything required of it by law, or by any order, decision, rule, direction or requirement of the commission under the provisions of this act, or is doing anything or about to do anything, or permitting anything or about to permit anything to be done, contrary to or in violation of law or of any order, decision, rule, direction or requirement of the commission, under the provisions of this act, it shall direct the attorney of the commission to commence an action or proceeding in the district court in and for the county, or city and county, in which the cause or some part thereof arose, or in which the corporation complained of, if any, has its principal place of business, or in which the person, if any, complained of, resides, in the name of the people of the state of Idaho, for the purpose of having such violations or threatened violations stopped and prevented, either by mandamus or injunction.
The attorney of the commission shall thereupon begin such action or proceeding by petition to such district court, alleging the violation or threatened violation complained of and praying for appropriate relief by way of mandamus or injunction.
It shall thereupon be the duty of the court to specify a time not exceeding twenty (20) days, after the service of the copy of the petition, within which the public utility complained of must answer the petition, and in the meantime said public utility may be restrained. In case of default in answer, or after answer, the court shall immediately inquire into the facts and circumstances of the case. Such corporations or persons as the court may deem necessary or proper to be joined as parties in order to make its judgment, order or writ effective, may be joined as parties. The final judgment in such action or proceedings shall either dismiss the action or proceeding or direct that the writ of mandamus or injunction issue or be made permanent as prayed for in the petition, or in such modified or other form as will afford appropriate relief.
An appeal may be taken to the Supreme Court from such final judgment in the same manner and with the same effect, subject to the provisions of this act, as appeals are taken from judgments of the district court in other actions for mandamus or injunction.

[(61-705) 1913, ch. 61, sec. 71, p. 248; reen. C.L. 106:153; C.S., sec. 2521; I.C.A., sec. 59-705.]

How current is this law?