REVENUE AND TAXATION
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE AND TAXATION
63-105. Powers and duties — General. In addition to all other powers and duties vested in it, the state tax commission shall have the power and duty:
(1) To assess and collect all taxes and administer all programs relating to taxes which are the responsibility of the state tax commission.
(2) To make, adopt and publish such rules as it may deem necessary and desirable to carry out the powers and duties imposed upon it by law, provided however, that all rules adopted by the state tax commission prior to the effective date of this 1996 amendatory act shall remain in full force and effect until such time as they may be rescinded or revised by the commission.
(3) To maintain a tax research section to observe and investigate the effectiveness and adequacy of the revenue laws of this state and to assist the executive and legislative departments in estimation of revenue, analysis of tax measures and determination of the administrative feasibility of proposed tax legislation.
(4) To prescribe forms and to specify and require information with relation to any duty or power of the state tax commission except as provided in section 63-219, Idaho Code.
(5) To ensure that statutory penalties are enforced, and proper complaint is made against persons derelict in duty under any law relating to assessment or equalization of taxes.
(6) To sue and be sued in the name of the state tax commission.
(7) To summon witnesses to appear before it or its agents to testify and/or produce for examination such books, papers, records or other data relating to any matter within its jurisdiction. However, no person shall be required to testify outside the county wherein he resides or the principal place of his business is located. Such summons to testify shall be issued and served in like manner as a subpoena to witnesses issued from the district court and shall be served without fee or mileage charge by the sheriff of the county, and return of service shall be made by the sheriff to the commission. Persons appearing before the commission or its agents in obedience to such a summons, shall, in the discretion of the commission, receive the same compensation as witnesses in the district court, to be paid upon claims presented against the state from any appropriation made for the administration of the provisions of this title, in the same manner as other claims against the state are presented and paid.
(8) To administer oaths and take affirmations of witnesses appearing before it. The power to administer oaths and take affirmations is vested in each member of the state tax commission, and its duly constituted agents. In case any witness shall fail or refuse to appear and testify before the state tax commission or its agents upon being summoned to appear as herein provided, the clerk of the district court of the county shall, upon demand of the state tax commission, any member thereof, or agent, issue a subpoena reciting the demand therefor and summoning the witness to appear and testify at a time and place fixed; and violation of such subpoena or disobedience thereto shall be deemed and punished as a violation of any other subpoena issued from the district court.
(9) To report to the governor from time to time, and to furnish to the governor such assistance and information as may be required.
(10) To recommend to the governor in a report at least sixty (60) days before and to the legislature ten (10) days prior to the meeting of any regular session of the legislature such amendments, changes and modifications of the various tax laws necessary to remedy injustice and irregularities in taxation and to facilitate assessment and collection of taxes in the most economical and efficient manner.
[63-105 added 1996, ch. 98, sec. 2, p. 311.]