STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
67-4702. Authority and duties of the director. (1) The director of the department of commerce, hereafter the director, shall administer the provisions of this chapter and perform such other duties relating to commerce as may be imposed upon him by law. The director shall have the authority to employ individuals, make expenditures, require reports, make investigations, perform travel and take other actions deemed necessary. The director shall organize the department which shall, for the purposes of section 20, article IV, of the constitution of the state of Idaho, be an executive department of the state government. The director shall have an official seal which shall be judicially noticed.
(2) The director shall have the authority pursuant to chapter 52, title 67, Idaho Code, to adopt, amend, or rescind rules as he deems necessary for the proper performance of all duties imposed upon him by law.
(3) Subject to the provisions of chapter 53, title 67, Idaho Code, the director is authorized and directed to provide for a merit system for the department covering all persons, except the director, the division administrators, and two (2) exempt positions to serve at the pleasure of the director.
(4) The director shall make recommendations for amendments to laws he is charged to implement as he deems proper.
(5) The director shall have all the powers and duties as may have been or could have been exercised by his predecessors in law, except those powers and duties granted and reserved to the director of the department of labor in titles 44, 45, 63 and 72, Idaho Code, and he shall be the successor in law to all contractual obligations entered into by his predecessors in law, except for those contracts of the department of labor, or contracts pertaining to any power or duty granted and reserved to the director of the department of labor in titles 44, 45, 63 and 72, Idaho Code.
(6) For the purposes of international trade, the director may use the title of secretary of the department.
[(67-4702) 72-1333, added 1947, ch. 269, sec. 33, p. 793; am. 1949, ch. 144, sec. 33, p. 252; am. 1951, ch. 104, sec. 7, p. 233; am. 1965, ch. 53, sec. 1, p. 86; am. 1974, ch. 16, sec. 3, p. 304; am. 1977, ch. 123, sec. 1, p. 262; am. 1987, ch. 312, sec. 1, p. 655; am. 1991, ch. 30, sec. 15, p. 67; am. 1996, ch. 421, sec. 2, p. 1409; am. 1998, ch. 1, sec. 43, p. 23; am. 1999, ch. 50, sec. 3, p. 114; am. and redesig. 2004, ch. 346, sec. 4, p. 1030; am. 2007, ch. 360, sec. 3, p. 1061; am. 2012, ch. 291, sec. 1, p. 805.]