STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
67-4720. Tourist information signs. (1) There shall be established a series of uniform tourist information signs to be erected and placed in the rights of way of the primary highway system and the interstate highway system within the state of Idaho. Notwithstanding the provisions of chapter 28, title 40, Idaho Code, the committee shall have the authority to design the uniform tourist information signs. Their placement shall be made in accordance with the provisions of this section, and the provisions of section 131, title 23, U.S.C.
(2) The tourist information signs shall be uniform in design and contain specific information regarding the location of a scenic attraction or historical site which is nationally or regionally known and of outstanding interest to the traveling public.
(3) In order to expedite the placement of the information signs, the committee shall, upon the effective date of this act, commence a study to designate which scenic attractions and historic sites to highlight with information signs, and to determine their design, the information they are to contain, and any follow-through direction signs or trailblazer signs. The study shall incorporate recommendations from each region’s populace and shall seek the cooperation of city, county and special road or highway districts. The study required under this section shall be completed and all decisions regarding design, content, and placement shall be made, on or before June 30, 1986, with a preliminary report on the study being completed by December 15, 1985.
(4) Upon completion of the study, the committee shall work in cooperation with the Idaho transportation department to determine information sign design, designation and placement. The Idaho transportation department shall supply expertise, technical information, or any other assistance the committee may require, regarding the design, designation and placement and construction of the information signs.
(5) The information signs required under this section on the state highway system, shall be constructed, erected and maintained by the Idaho transportation department according to the design and placement plans agreed upon by the Idaho transportation department and the committee as stated in subsection (4). Erection of the information signs shall be completed on or before July 1, 1990.
(6) All costs for the study required in this section, including the design and designation of information sign placement costs, shall be paid by the committee from monies in the Idaho travel and convention account created by section 67-4718, Idaho Code.
(7) Costs for the construction, erection and maintenance of the information signs on the state transportation system shall be paid by the Idaho transportation department from existing funds appropriated for the construction, maintenance, repair and traffic supervision for the highways of this state. However, no sign will be constructed that will result in the loss or forfeiture of federal-aid highway funds. Any design used for this promotion cannot be used by other entities unless approved by the committee and the Idaho transportation department.
(8) As used in this section, the term "committee" shall refer to the Idaho travel and convention industry committee created by section 67-4712, Idaho Code.
[67-4720, added 1985, ch. 127, sec. 1, p. 311.]