STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
67-5307. Organization of commission. (1) The Idaho personnel commission is hereby created in the office of the governor and shall consist of five (5) members, not more than three (3) of which at any time may belong to the same political party. The members of the commission shall be appointed by the governor on the basis of experience in personnel management, business or governmental management and their known sympathy with merit principles for the impartial selection of efficient state government employees; provided, however, that at least two (2) of the members shall have had at least five (5) years of personnel management experience.
(2) Members of the commission shall be appointed for overlapping terms of six (6) years, except that in the first instance one (1) member shall be appointed for two (2) years, one (1) member for four (4) years and one (1) member for six (6) years. Initial members shall be appointed to take office within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this chapter. The members of the personnel commission serving on the effective date of this chapter shall continue in office subject to the provisions of this chapter. The additional members of the commission shall be appointed one (1) for four (4) years and one (1) for six (6) years, the term of each to be designated by the governor. Their successors shall be appointed for terms of six (6) years. If, for any reason, a member should leave the commission before his term expires, the governor shall appoint another member to fill out the unexpired term.
(3) No member of the commission shall hold political office or be an officer of a political organization during his term, nor shall any member have held political office or have been an officer of a political organization during the twelve (12) months preceding his appointment. No member of the commission shall have been employed as an official or employee of the state of Idaho during the twelve (12) months preceding his appointment, nor be so employed during his term. The chairman shall be appointed by the governor prior to the first meeting of each calendar year.
(4) Any department aggrieved by any action or inaction of the division of human resources shall be afforded an opportunity for a hearing before the division upon request therefor in writing. Minutes or summary of the proceedings of all hearings shall be made and filed with the division, together with findings of fact and conclusions of law made by the division.
(5) The governor may remove a commissioner for inefficiency, neglect of duty or misconduct in office after first giving him a copy of charges against him and an opportunity to be heard publicly before the governor. A copy of the charges and a transcript of the record of the hearing shall be filed with the secretary of state.
(6) The commission shall meet at regularly scheduled intervals or on call of the chairman. Three (3) members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. Members shall each be compensated as provided by section 59-509(n), Idaho Code.
[67-5307, added 1965, ch. 289, sec. 7, p. 746; am. 1975, ch. 164, sec. 3, p. 434; am. 1980, ch. 247, sec. 87, p. 650; am. 1996, ch. 104, sec. 1, p. 406; am. 1998, ch. 330, sec. 1, p. 1062; am. 1999, ch. 370, sec. 6, p. 984.]