STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
IDAHO STATE LOTTERY
67-7408. Powers and duties of the commission. The commission shall be responsible for establishing the goals and objectives of the lottery and shall have the following duties, powers and responsibilities in addition to others herein granted:
(1) The commission may adopt, upon recommendation of the director, such rules and regulations governing the establishment and operation of the lottery as it considers necessary under this chapter to ensure the integrity of the lottery and its games and to maximize the net income of the lottery for the benefit of the state. Such rules and regulations shall generally address, but not be limited to:
(a) The different types of lottery games to be conducted;
(b) The range of prize structures of each lottery game;
(c) The method, odds and frequency of selecting winning tickets and shares and the manner of paying prizes to the owners of the winning tickets and shares;
(d) The terms and conditions of lottery game retailer contracts, which may include retailer compensation, bonuses, incentives, fees for redeeming claims, payment and credit terms, retailer application and renewal fees, telecommunication costs, if any, to be paid or allocated to retailers, and bonding requirements;
(e) The methods to be utilized in selling and distributing lottery tickets or shares, including the use of machines, terminals, telecommunications systems and data processing systems. Customer-operated machines, terminals or other devices for selling lottery tickets or shares shall be operated only by the use of currency or coin; and
(f) Other matters necessary or appropriate for the efficient operation and administration of the lottery, for the convenience of the public, and to carry out the provisions of this chapter. Every rule promulgated within the authority conferred by this chapter shall be of temporary effect and must be ratified by the legislature at the regular session first following its adoption. Rules not approved in this manner shall be rejected, null, void and of no force and effect on July 1, following their submission to the legislature.
(2) The commission shall approve major procurements.
(3) The commission shall approve the transfer of net income in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
(4) The commission shall have the authority to enter into written agreements or contracts, negotiated and prepared by the director, with any other state or states, the government of Canada, the provinces of Canada, the government of Australia, the states of Australia, the government of the United Kingdom, or an agency or contractor of any of those entities for the operation and promotion of a joint lottery or joint lottery games. The commission, under no circumstance, shall have the authority to enter into written agreements or contracts with another country without an affirmative action by the legislature.
(5) The commission shall perform all other acts necessary to carry out the purposes and provisions of this chapter.
[67-7408, added 1988, ch. 232, sec. 2, p. 448; am. 1989, ch. 352, sec. 2, p. 882; am. 2013, ch. 341, sec. 1, p. 899; am. 2022, ch. 68, sec. 1, p. 205.]