STATE GOVERNMENT AND STATE AFFAIRS
DEVELOPMENT IMPACT FEES
67-8206. Procedure for the imposition of development impact fees. (1) A development impact fee shall be imposed by a governmental entity in compliance with the provisions set forth in this section.
(2) A capital improvements plan shall be developed in coordination with the development impact fee advisory committee utilizing the land use assumptions most recently adopted by the appropriate land use planning agency or agencies.
(3) A governmental entity that seeks to consider adoption, amendment, or repeal of a capital improvements plan shall hold at least one (1) public hearing. The governmental entity shall publish a notice of the time, place and purpose of the hearing or hearings not fewer than fifteen (15) nor more than thirty (30) days before the scheduled date of the hearing, in a newspaper of general circulation within the jurisdiction of the governmental entity. Such notices shall also include a statement that the governmental entity shall make available to the public, upon request, the following: proposed land use assumptions, a copy of the proposed capital improvements plan or amendments thereto, and a statement that any member of the public affected by the capital improvements plan or amendments shall have the right to appear at the public hearing and present evidence regarding the proposed capital improvements plan or amendments. The governmental entity shall send notice of the intent to hold a public hearing by mail to any person who has requested in writing notification of the hearing date at least fifteen (15) days prior to the hearing date, provided that the governmental entity may require that any person making such request renew the request for notification, not more frequently than once each year, in accordance with a schedule determined by the governmental entity, in order to continue receiving such notices.
(4) If the governmental entity makes a material change in the capital improvements plan or amendment, further notice and hearing may be provided before the governmental entity adopts the revision if the governmental entity makes a finding that further notice and hearing are required in the public interest.
(5) Either following or concurrently with adoption of the initial or amended capital improvements plan, a governmental entity shall conduct a public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance authorizing the imposition of development impact fees or any amendment thereof. Notice of the hearing shall be provided in the same manner as set forth in subsection (3) of this section for adoption of a capital improvements plan, and such hearing, at the option of the governmental entity, may be combined with the public hearing held to adopt, amend or repeal the capital improvements plan.
(6) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to alter the procedures for adoption of an ordinance by the governmental entity. Provided, however, a development impact fee ordinance shall not be adopted as an emergency measure but may be read for the first and second times on successive days prior to the public hearing to consider its adoption and shall not take effect sooner than thirty (30) days following its adoption.
[67-8206, added 1992, ch. 282, sec. 1, p. 868; am. 2006, ch. 321, sec. 1, p. 1019.]