Print Friendly

     Idaho Statutes

Idaho Statutes are updated to the website July 1 following the legislative session.


7-1005.  Bases for jurisdiction over nonresident. (1) In a proceeding to establish or enforce a support order or to determine parentage of a child, a tribunal of this state may exercise personal jurisdiction over a nonresident individual or the individual’s guardian or conservator if:
(a)  The individual is personally served with notice within this state;
(b)  The individual submits to the jurisdiction of this state by consent in a record, by entering a general appearance, or by filing a responsive document having the effect of waiving any contest to personal jurisdiction;
(c)  The individual resided with the child in this state;
(d)  The individual resided in this state and provided prenatal expenses or support for the child;
(e)  The child resides in this state as a result of the acts or directives of the individual;
(f)  The individual engaged in sexual intercourse in this state and the child may have been conceived by that act of intercourse;
(g)  The individual asserted parentage of a child in the registry maintained in this state by the vital statistics unit of the department of health and welfare provided in section 16-1513, Idaho Code; or
(h)  There is any other basis consistent with the constitutions of this state and the United States for the exercise of personal jurisdiction.
(2)  The bases of personal jurisdiction set forth in subsection (1) of this section or in any other law of this state may not be used to acquire personal jurisdiction for a tribunal of the state to modify a child-support order of another state unless the requirements of section 7-1053, Idaho Code, are met, or in the case of a foreign support order, unless the requirements of section 7-1057, Idaho Code, are met.

[(7-1005) 7-1004, added 1994, ch. 207, sec. 2, p. 642; am. 1997, ch. 198, sec. 2, p. 559; am. and redesig. 2006, ch. 252, sec. 5, p. 767; am. 2015, 1st E.S., ch. 1, sec. 5, p. 10.]

How current is this law?