TRANSPARENT AND ETHICAL GOVERNMENT
ETHICS IN GOVERNMENT
74-403. Definitions. For purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Official action" means any decision on, or proposal, consideration, enactment, defeat, or making of any rule, regulation, rate-making proceeding or policy action or nonaction by a governmental body or any other policy matter which is within the official jurisdiction of the governmental body.
(2) "Business" means any undertaking operated for economic gain, including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, trust, proprietorship, firm, association or joint venture.
(3) "Business with which a public official is associated" means any business of which the public official or member of his household is a director, officer, owner, partner, employee or holder of stock over five thousand dollars ($5,000) or more at fair market value.
(4) "Conflict of interest" means any official action or any decision or recommendation by a person acting in a capacity as a public official, the effect of which would be to the private pecuniary benefit of the person or a member of the person’s household, or a business with which the person or a member of the person’s household is associated, unless the pecuniary benefit arises out of the following:
(a) An interest or membership in a particular business, industry, occupation or class required by law as a prerequisite to the holding by the person of the office or position;
(b) Any action in the person’s official capacity which would affect to the same degree a class consisting of an industry or occupation group in which the person, or a member of the person’s household or business with which the person is associated, is a member or is engaged;
(c) Any interest which the person has by virtue of his profession, trade or occupation where his interest would be affected to the same degree as that of a substantial group or class of others similarly engaged in the profession, trade or occupation;
(d) Any action by a public official upon any revenue measure, any appropriation measure or any measure imposing a tax, when similarly situated members of the general public are affected by the outcome of the action in a substantially similar manner and degree.
(5) "Economic gain" means increase in pecuniary value from sources other than lawful compensation as a public official.
(6) "Governmental entity" means:
(a) The state of Idaho and all agencies, commissions and other governmental bodies of the state; and
(b) Counties and municipalities of the state of Idaho, all other political subdivisions including, but not limited to, highway districts, planning and zoning commissions or governmental bodies not specifically mentioned in this chapter.
(7) "Members of a household" means the spouse and dependent children of the public official and/or persons whom the public official is legally obligated to support.
(8) "Person" means an individual, proprietorship, partnership, association, trust, estate, business trust, group or corporation, whether operated for profit or not, and any other legal entity, or agent or servant thereof, or a governmental entity.
(9) "Public office" means any position in which the normal and usual duties are conducted on behalf of a governmental entity.
(10) "Public official" means any person holding public office in the following capacity:
(a) As an elected public official meaning any person holding public office of a governmental entity by virtue of an elected process, including persons appointed to a vacant elected office of a governmental entity, excluding members of the judiciary; or
(b) As an elected legislative public official meaning any person holding public office as a legislator; or
(c) As an appointed public official meaning any person holding public office of a governmental entity by virtue of formal appointment as required by law; or
(d) As an employed public official meaning any person holding public office of a governmental entity by virtue of employment, or a person employed by a governmental entity on a consultive basis.
[74-403, added 2015, ch. 140, sec. 5, p. 374.]