AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
PESTICIDES AND CHEMIGATION
22-3401. Definitions. When used in this act:
(1) "Adulterated" means a pesticide is adulterated for the purpose of this act if the strength or purity of the pesticide is below the purported or professed standard of quality as expressed in its labeling, or any substance has been substituted wholly or in part for any ingredient of the pesticide, or any valuable constituent thereof has been omitted wholly or in part.
(2) "Antipollution device" means any mechanical equipment used to reduce hazard to the environment in cases of malfunction or shutdown of chemigation equipment during chemigation and may include, but not be limited to, interlock, irrigation line check valve, chemical line closure device, vacuum relief device and automatic low-pressure drain.
(3) "Certified applicator" means a person who has qualified as a professional applicator, or private applicator under the provisions of this act and the rules promulgated by the director.
(4) "Chemical" means any fertilizer or pesticide.
(5) "Chemigation" means any process whereby chemicals are added to irrigation water applied to land, crops or plants through an irrigation system, such as, but not limited to, agricultural, nursery, turf, lawn, golf course and greenhouse sites.
(6) "Defoliant" means any substance or mixture of substances intended for causing the foliage to drop from a plant, with or without causing abscission.
(7) "Department" means the Idaho department of agriculture.
(8) "Desiccant" means any substance or mixture of substances intended for artificially accelerating the drying of plant tissues.
(9) "Designated agent" means an employee or agent of the state authorized by the director to perform various duties in connection with enforcement of this act.
(10) "Device" means an instrument or contrivance, other than a firearm, intended to trap, destroy, control, repel or mitigate any pest or any other form of plant or animal life, other than man and other than bacteria, virus, or other microorganism on or in living man or other living animals, but does not include equipment used for the application of pesticides when sold separately therefrom.
(11) "Director" means the director of the department of agriculture of the state of Idaho.
(12) "Distribute" means to offer for sale, hold for sale, sell, barter, ship, deliver for shipment, or receive and, having so received, deliver or offer to deliver, pesticides in this state.
(13) "Environment" includes water, air, land, and all plants and man and other animals living therein, and the interrelationships which exist among these.
(14) "EPA" means the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
(15) "Fertilizer" means any formulation or product used as a plant nutrient which is intended to promote plant growth and contains one (1) or more plant nutrients.
(16) "General use pesticide" means any pesticide which is not a restricted-use pesticide.
(17) "Irrigation system" means any device or combination of devices having a hose, pipe, or other conduit which connects directly to any source of ground or surface water, through which water or a mixture of water and chemicals is drawn and applied to land, crops or plants. The term does not include any hand-held sprayer or other similar device which is constructed so that an interruption in water flow automatically prevents any backflow into the water source.
(18) "Label or labeling" means the written, printed or graphic matter on or attached to the pesticide or device or any of its containers or wrappers. It would also include all other written, printed or graphic material that accompanies the pesticide or device at any time.
(19) "Land" means all land and water areas, including airspace, and all plants, animals, structures, buildings, contrivances, and machinery appurtenant thereto or situated thereon, fixed or mobile, including any used for transportation.
(20) "Misbranded" shall apply to (a) any pesticide or device if its labeling bears any false or misleading statement, design or graphic representation, and (b) any pesticide if such pesticide is not labeled as required by section 22-3402, Idaho Code, and (c) any pesticide if the labeling bears any reference to the registration provisions of section 22-3402, Idaho Code, unless such reference is required by rules promulgated by the director.
(21) "Person" means any individual, partnership, association, fiduciary corporation, or any organized group of persons whether incorporated or not.
(22) "Pest" means (a) any insect, rodent, nematode, fungus, weed, or (b) any other form of terrestrial or aquatic plant or animal life or virus, bacteria, or other microorganism, except virus, bacteria, or other microorganism on or in living man or other living animals, which the director declares to be a pest.
(23) "Pesticide" means but is not limited to (a) any substance or mixture of substances intended to prevent, destroy, control, repel or mitigate any insect, rodent, nematode, snail, slug, fungus, weed and any other form of plant or animal life or virus, except virus or fungus on or in living man or other animal, which is normally considered to be a pest or which the director may declare to be a pest, and (b) any substance or mixture of substances intended to be used as a plant regulator, defoliant or desiccant, and (c) any spray adjuvant.
(24) "Pesticide dealer" means a person who distributes any restricted-use pesticide or general use pesticide except those exempted in section 22-3406, Idaho Code, or any pesticide whose uses or distribution are further restricted by the director by rule.
(25) "Pesticide equipment" means any equipment, machinery, or apparatus used in the actual application of pesticides including aircraft and ground-spraying equipment.
(26) "Pesticide industry representative" means a person who is a pesticide manufacturer’s representative, distributor’s representative, or any field representative of any company or organization that deals in agricultural commodities, who uses or supervises the application of restricted-use pesticides solely for the purpose of demonstrating the use of the restricted-use pesticide.
(27) "Plant regulator" means any substance or mixture of substances intended through physiological action, for accelerating or retarding the rate of growth or rate of maturation, or for otherwise altering the behavior of plants or the produce thereof, but shall not include substances to the extent that they are intended as plant nutrients, trace elements, nutritional chemicals, plant inoculants and soil amendments.
(28) "Private applicator" means a person who: (a) uses or supervises the use of restricted-use pesticides to produce agricultural commodities or forest crops on land owned or rented by him or his employer; or (b) applies restricted-use pesticides on the property of another without compensation other than the trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities; or (c) applies chemicals through irrigation systems on land owned or rented by him or his employer.
(29) "Professional applicator" means a person who: (a) applies pesticides upon the land or property of another for compensation, or applies chemicals through irrigation systems upon the land or property of another for compensation; or (b) uses or supervises the use of restricted-use pesticides and is not a private applicator; or (c) offers or supplies technical advice or recommendations regarding the use of agricultural pesticides.
(30) "Restricted area" means an area established under the provisions of section 22-3419, Idaho Code, to prohibit or restrict the application of pesticides in order to prevent injury to land, people, animals, crops or the environment.
(31) "Restricted-use pesticide" means any pesticide or pesticide use classified for restricted use by the administrator of EPA.
(32) "Spray adjuvant" means any wetting agent, spreading agent, deposit builder, adhesive, emulsifying agent, deflocculating agent, water modifier, or similar agent with or without toxic properties of its own intended to be used with any other pesticide as an aid to the application or to the effect thereof, and which is in a separate container from that of the pesticide with which it is to be used.
(33) "State restricted pesticide use" means any pesticide use which, when used as directed in accordance with a widespread and commonly recognized practice, may be further restricted when the director determines, subsequent to a hearing, that additional restrictions are needed for that use to prevent unreasonable adverse effects on the environment including man, lands, beneficial insects, animals, crops and wildlife, other than pests.
(34) "Under the direct supervision of a certified private applicator" means that, unless otherwise prescribed by its labeling, a pesticide shall be considered to be applied under the direct supervision of a certified private applicator if it is applied by a competent person acting under the instructions and control of a certified private applicator who is available if and when needed, even though the certified private applicator is not physically present at the time and place the pesticide is applied.
(35) "Unreasonable adverse effects on the environment" means any unreasonable risk to man or the environment, taking into account the economic, social, and environmental costs and benefits of the use of any pesticide.
(36) "Wildlife" means all living things that are neither human, domesticated, nor as defined in this act, pests, including but not limited to, mammals, birds and aquatic life.
[22-3401, added 1976, ch. 190, sec. 2, p. 688; am. 1990, ch. 269, sec. 1, p. 759; am. 1996, ch. 22, sec. 1, p. 41; am. 1999, ch. 69, sec. 3, p. 181.]