AGRICULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
22-3705. Powers and duties. The Idaho cherry commission shall have, but is not limited to, the following powers and duties:
(1) To elect a chairman and such other officers as it deems advisable.
(2) To appoint and employ, and at its pleasure discharge, all necessary agents, employees and professional and other personnel, including experts in agriculture and the publicizing of the products thereof, and to prescribe their duties and fix their compensation.
(3) To establish offices and incur expenses and enter into contracts and to create such liabilities as may be reasonable for the proper administration and enforcement of this chapter.
(4) To aid in finding new markets for cherries and cherry products.
(5) To give, publicize and promulgate reliable information showing the value of cherries and cherry products for any purpose for which they are found useful and profitable.
(6) To make public and encourage the widespread national and international use of cherries and cherry products.
(7) To investigate and participate in studies of the problems peculiar to the growers of cherries in the state of Idaho.
(8) To take such action as to the commission seems necessary or advisable in order to promote the sale of cherries and to protect the cherry industry.
(9) To enter into such contracts as may be necessary or advisable.
(10) To make use of such advertising means and methods as the commission deems advisable and to enter into contracts and agreements for research and advertising within and without the state of Idaho.
(11) To cooperate with any local, state or national organization or agency, whether voluntary or created by the law of any state, or the United States, engaged in work or activity similar to the work and activities of the commission, and to enter into contracts and agreements with such organizations or agencies for carrying on a joint campaign of research, education, product protection, publicity and reciprocal enforcement of these objectives.
(12) To investigate and prosecute in the name of the state of Idaho violations of this chapter; to investigate and prosecute in the name of the state of Idaho any suit or action for the collection of assessments as hereinafter provided, or to protect brands, marks, packages, brand names or trademarks being promoted by the commission.
(13) To do any and all things that will promote the sale of cherries.
(14) To keep an accurate record of all its dealings, which shall be open to inspection by the state controller.
(15) To sue and be sued.
(16) To adopt and from time to time alter, rescind, modify and/or amend all proper and necessary rules, regulations and orders for the exercise of its powers and performance of its duties under this chapter.
(17) To, in its discretion, by rule create districts within the state for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this chapter.
[22-3705, added 1967, ch. 70, sec. 5, p. 157; am. 1994, ch. 180, sec. 30, p. 444; am. 2015, ch. 156, sec. 5, p. 547.]